NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to teach a Grey to like a new type of toy...

Morana

This crossed my mind while reading another thread about training;-)

Zak likes only shreddable toys but he wants to chew doors too. Problem is that he doesn't like any type of wooden toys I present. No matter if it is a foot toy, or a piece of wood-if it doesn't shred it is not at all interesting. I know he is chewing on doors because he has needs but I actually have no idea how to interest him in a wooden toy and in a way that he would keep that interest. Any ideas?

I think I'd introduce a wooden toy slowly, and let him come to it. Let it hang in the cage for a few weeks, and see if it sparks his interest. Has he shown any interest in chewing wood besides doors? His need to chew on doors may not be a wood issue. I know that my Senegal parrot will attack my phone on sight because I pay attention to my phone and not him!

With Kookie and to get him interested in any toy, I take it and play with it in front of him. This arouses his interest. I have also read that they watch our body language when we introduce a new toy. So to make him feel safe and comfortable with it, it helps if im smiling and talking to the toy in a loving pleasant way. It also helps if I bring the toy near my face and mouth. Normally the moment I put it down, he runs to investigate it. If that doesn't work, I attach a couple of peanuts to it, hang it somewhere accessible for him and this surely makes him interested.

Kookie also loves colored straws, so if he is not excited by a new toy (sometimes he is a bit scared to come near it) I tie some colored cut straws on it and his eyes start to spark.... that gets him for sure.

Well, there is a complication will all your suggestions because I already tried all of them and nothing.. I had a (more than a ) few typs of wooden toys hanging out of the cage and in the cage. I played with them, even put it IN my mout like I'm chewing on it. Wrapt it in a plastic bag (because he adores plastic bags-because they make sounds he likes when you touch it) so it would pique his interest. It is not a type of agression towards doors. He really likes chewing on the doors:-S I think it keeps his beak in shape. I hanged only that type of toys for longer than two months for him to play and nothing. I tried with peanuts and a various range of nuts placed/inserted beetween wooden parts. Nothing..

I know Marcus will go through phases with his toys. Right now it's an "out" phase, he really doesn't pay any attention to his foot toys. He chews on the ones in his cage occasionally but it's not like he's really into them right now. Maybe Zak just needs to be in the right mood to explore his toys on his own?

I've found myself having to "chew" a toy myself if Gemma isn't interested at first. Sometimes I'll turn away with it a bit, having lots of fun and making laughing noises and soon she (like a typical toddler) wants a chance at it herself. I understand why you want your Zak to chew because it is good for their beaks, their self-esteem and it's what parrots do! Good luck, keep us updated!

Wow, this is a tough one if you have tried all the things listed and Zak has no interest in them. Obviously you cannot make them "Like" something as was pointed out.

Since he seems to like doors, how about just a 1x1x24 piece of wood you can purchase at any hardware store (untreated) and cut it in various lengths, place on the bottom of the cage or play area and see if that will work as a wooden chew toys. It will look close to the same shape and size as the top of the door.

Maybe it's true that you can't teach them to like something but I'm sure you can encourage him to like it with positive reinforcement? Buy a wooden toy. Play with it in front of him, outside the cage, like some people said already. Maybe a couple times before putting it inside the cage. Or maybe even leave outside the cage for 2-3 days. Then try getting him to come close to the toy by offering him a treat. Play with the toy some more after it's in the cage and continue with the treats every time he touches the toy. He might get used to it and associate it as a good thing. Good luck and let us know if anything worked. Zak sounds like a tough customer. hehe :)

Edited by Popsicle

I had a thought... maybe spread a little bit of peanut butter or something else that he may like on the toy? To encourage him to chew it? lol Just an idea... I totally understand you want him to play with toys instead of items in the house. Think it's all down to training. Persistence eventually might pay off. ;)

Edited by Popsicle

We had a CAG for several years who tore up our doorframes but refused to chew any wood we put in his cage. We tried just about everything to get him interested. We'd have to position his cage "just so" when he let him out to play on top so he couldn't reach anything. One thing that I have noticed with Gemma, my 9 month-old CAG, is that if there is already a bit of a "chew" in a piece of wood, if it's somewhat splintered somewhere, she shows more interest. Could you use some pliers or something and splinter some of the wood? Not completely off -- that's where she always starts, and once she starts chewing there, then she goes on to enjoy more of it. It's almost like we start it for her and she takes it from there. Just a thought.... there have been some great suggestions here! Good luck and let us know what works!

Our Grey likes popsicle sticks - you could try one of those toys they sell with bunches of popsicle sticks? Our Grey won't touch large pieces of wood but she really likes small, easily broken pieces. If you haven't tried that already you may want to.......