NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Training parrots NOT TO DO something. HELP!

Popsicle

We all know parrots love chewing and that can be dangerous for them (i.e chewing cables). How should we train them to STOP doing those things, in a positive way?

I know we have to always ignore bad behaviour and reward good behaviour. But if the parrot is doing something really wrong/dangerous you can't just ignore it. I've mainly read what we SHOULDN'T DO. Shouldn't shout because they will just shout back, shouldn't say NO because they don't understand, shouldn't hit the parrot because it hurts of course and also can encourage aggressive behaviour... haven't seen any good tips on how to proceed at the exact moment the parrot is doing something wrong. Get him to step up and remove him from what he's doing and then distract him with something else? Or what? And how do we teach them NOT to do that same thing again?

This is a video I watched and made me want to create this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_-l1hD0U4

You can see the parrot starts getting a bit aggressive when the girl hits the work top. This is just a simple example.

Any advices? Thanks.

First of all, that parrot or any parrot shouldn't be on the washing machine or other places that can attract a bird to grab unsafe items.. That in itself is allowing the bird to learn that he/she can get away with things.

The bird shouldn't be walking around a sink with all types of utensils and other items sitting in it. The person in the video is losing control because no disapline has been set up. The bird could have grabbed something dangerois

In the video, the bird has found a very appealing Item --dish rack and wants to pick at it. The owner is upset and smacks the counter quite a few times. The bird trns around and warns the person that he wants to be left alone to pick at the item. Again, a lack of disapline on the owner's part is allowing that bird to do as it pleases. The person is now leery. The bird knows it. There were electric wires around and that bird could have been fast enough to go over and bite it.The bird isn't really interested in behaving or stopping because she's smacking the counter. It's only causing anger. A bird's personality doesn't register that, especially a grey who's main enjoyment is chewing things hard or soft. It's what they do best.

All of the sounds the bird was making were simply mimicing a million things that's stored in the brain. It may have sounded sweet but the bird was definitely looking to bite again as seen in the video

The same goes for that macaw. It's shouldn't be in those types of places and the only reason it's done is because the owner finds it to be fun and appealing.

Actually, the best Story ending in that video would have been the grey giving her a good bite. She's irresponsible and the bird is in control.

A person needs to first train themselves to say no before they try it on a creature who's only doing what comes naturally.

PS---One other thing-----just looking at the posture, pinning eyes, feathers extremely tight to the body of that bird, 2 inches closer and the bird would have succeeded and it would've been a serious bite.

Edited by Dave007

I read in the African grey handbook, that you must keep your grey occupied with a lot of wooden toys because thats what they do ( Shred wood to show their mate what a good provider they are,) so if you dont want your bird biting things it shouldnt, keep it happy with lots of diffrent toys.

Totally agree Dave. First of all we can't allow birds to be in situations that will be dangerous for them. Like kids, they also need limits.

Also agree with Cupid that they need to be distracted with their own toys in order not to go play with something they shouldn't.

But let's say we do turn our back for a minute and when we look, there they are doing something they shouldn't. How do we stop them in a nice way?

You handle the situation like you would a very young child, distraction. When they go for something unsafe you provide another item or action to obtain their interest. So if your bird has flown to the window and wants to take chunks out of the woodwork, you can step him or her up and move to another play area or for a treat, sing and dance loudly as a distraction to get them involved or place back in the cage for a few minutes and start again in a safe place.

Edited by Greywings
spelling

Thank you. That's what I was wondering if I should do. Moving to another place and then getting him distracted with something else or time out. I worry I'm gonna end up making him associate the bad habit/behaviour with getting something good (treats, toys or attention). My previous parrot did it with screaming. I didn't know about training at all at the time I had him so everytime he was screaming his lungs out (he was an Amazon) I'd give him a cracker to get him distracted and stop screaming. No surprise he learnt he would get a treat out of screaming and would scream every day early in the morning and evening. :( But I'm preparing myself a lot for this new parrot. So hopefully I won't make the same type of mistakes again. :)

So mix it up never give the same reaction to avoid the bird training you to reward the behavior, move him, distract him lots of verbal interaction. I usually don't even give a no, just move away from object and distract with behavior, toys or a treat.

I don't believe in the whole "they don't understand no" thing - from experience with our Grey. She absolutely knows what the word "no" means, and while you obviouls don't want to scream at them, she knows I'm serious when I raise my voice to a reasonable level. She knows what "no", "hush your beak", and "stop it" mean, and she even scolds herself sometimes before I can if she does something wrong. They're like children so they don't always listen, but they definitely (at least ours does) understand the meaning of these words and often listen. She even exclaims "good girl" sometimes when I tell her not to do something and she stops......

You need to teach them these things with positive reinforcement - teach them the word "no" by telling them with a stern voice. When they stop doing what it is they're doing wrong, tell them that is good. I wouldn't use treats at all for this, just telling them they're good and giving them love and attention when they stop and do what you tell them - otherwise they ARE smart enough to do something bad on purpose in order to get a treat. Our Grey also knows what it means when I ask her "do you want to go back to your cage?". She obviously doesn't, so she stops. When she snaps at us (for instance when I don't let her on my shoulder), I tell her "no" or "careful" and she often puts her head down for pets to say she's sorry.

As far as chewing on something they're not supposed to, others are right - don't leave things around that would entice them in the first place. If you have to use the "substitution method", don't use treats or new toys - give them something old they've had for awhile so they're not getting something special. I often let our Grey play with empty pop bottles or the caps. She likes to throw them around. They're nothing special though - she gets them all the time - so when given this as a substitution for something shes not supposed to chew on she doesn't learn this is a method to get a treat or new toy.

Oh, and something else you can do - if your parrot is like ours and never bites you (ours will hit my hand with her beak if she's not getting her way - which we still scold her for - but never actually bites)........when ours tries to chew on something she isn't supposed to I'll put my hand over it so she can't get to it. Obviously if your bird bites this isn't a good idea, but if yours is like ours she may get the idea this is something that is yours and not to be eaten, LoL. Ours will usually leave the item alone, at least for the time being, when I do this........

I totally agree that they can learn that NO means they are not allowed to do something. We just need to teach them. Just like people train dogs to lie down, sit, etc. They are smart and they can understand. I really like your idea of giving them something they always play with (like a bottle cap). My other parrots used to love playing with caps as well. It's interesting the concept of not giving them anything "special" otherwise it will just stimulate them to continue doing something wrong. Also like the idea of the hand to cover things they can't bite. Just need to pay attention first to make sure they won't end up biting me instead. lol Thanks for your advice. :)