NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

White on Greys face is patchy, the color of his feathers/feet

thunkened

Hello,

My bird got out, spent the day outside and I got him back. I can tell story later - but when I found him - the white on his face was slightly missing in patches. His face is not solid white anymore, but patchy with some spots that are the color of his feet. It has gotten worse over the last week.

What can cause this? Is this from a sunburn? Molting? Diet?

Another thing - he gets wet really easily now. Whenever I usually spray him with water, or pour water on him (he loves it), it usually just wicks off for the first 10 pours or so. Now when I do it he gets soaked immediately.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Thank you.

It's hard to say what happened. Usually, a person includes a close up photo or photos of any problem areas that exist.

I can tell you that parrots don't get sunburned. parrots are wild and usually live in harsh weather conditions. There's a very slight chance that this has to do with molting but I doubt it. Greys have no feathers in the white areas of the face. Diet isn't related to the present problems your bird is having.

Many greys, not all have slight color changes on the feet and legs as they get older ( light to dark and visa versa).

The flight, tail and outer back feathers are all waterproof. They usually stay that way throughout their lives. The different things that are quickly happening right now warrant a visit to a vet so the face can be examined for bruising. Inspection of the outer feathers is needed. Make sure it's an avian vet because he/she will be more familar with the bird's situation

There's a possibility that your bird's face was somehow bruised or scratched.

Edited by Dave007

There's a possibility that your bird's face was somehow bruised

That would be my guess that something happened to your grey and the face is bruised but a visit to an avian vet should be done to have him checked out but you have no way of knowing what may have happened.