NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Some questions about Greys!

xxaznqt

Hi! So I'm new to this forum and I'm not yet a Grey owner (I really hope to be one, though! But I have to slow down and make sure I am very prepared) so that means I will have a lot of questions. I hope you guys don't mind. :( I have been reading a lot of the threads on this forum for a while, and there is a lot of useful information! I have been previously posting my questions on Yahoo Answers, but I think that I would get more advice and more personal stories to help guide me in my decision for getting a grey. Anyway, these are some of my more pressing questions regarding Greys:

1. One of the things I'm really worried about is about nonstick pans. They contain PTFE, and when I told my mom to stop using these nonstick pans, she refused. So I checked the brand of our nonstick cookware set and it's Kirkland Signature. Does the Kirkland Signature nonstick cookware contain PTFE or anything else that's harmful?

2. Another question I have is about location of the cage. Currently indoors, there aren't any suitable places, and my parents don't really want to have the bird inside. However, we do have a sunroom that is connected to our living room. It basically has three walls of just windows, and one solid wall. It is very well lit, but sort of hot in the morning. There are blinds on all of the windows, and even if we close them it's still brightly lit but I guess not as hot. I can open the doors and cool air will come in. It's kind of humid compared to the rest of the house, and truth is, none of us really go out there in the morning due to the heat. I do plan on taking the bird out to socialize with the rest of the family most of the time though, so it won't have to spend most of its time in the cage. Sorry, that was sort of roundabout, but the question is: Will it be too hot for my bird to stay in the sunroom, and is it recommended? I'm really scared about the heat.

Based on past answers for these questions, mostly everyone agrees that mostly all nonstick cookware will contain PTFE, and that they wouldn't risk using it around birds. I agree, but how am I supposed to convince my mom to switch to the more expensive stainless steel alternative? :/ It is the reluctance of my parents to change some habits that is holding me back from getting a grey; I wouldn't want to bring my bird into an unsafe home.

Regarding the sunroom, others have answered that it is probably not best for a grey because:

1. It might be too hot.

2. They need to be around the family a lot. I don't plan on letting my grey stay inside its cage all day; I would want it to join the family in the living room and the cage is just for sleeping purposes, or when we have to leave him for a bit.

I really have fallen in love with these birds, but I feel that my current situation isn't ideal at the moment. :( Are there any suggestions as to what to do?

Hi!

It is nice you wanna have a Grey but there so many other questions that need to be answered first.

From your text I am assuming you are still in school. Am I right? If yes, you seriously need to think are you going to educate yourself further and could it mean moving to different town or country or/and how will it afect your free time (which now you have for a bird). Will you live on your own? Where will the bird be while you are away? If you go on vacation, do you have someone trustworthy to leave your bird with? Do you now have a good AVIAN vet? Do you have money for vet checkups, toys, food, cage, playstands,books,cage,....? There are so many more pressing questions which need to be answered first.

About the possition of the birds cage. It musn't be drafty. How warm exactly does it get in the sun room during summer? Aside that your mom doesn't want to change pans, is she and the rest of the family ok with you bringigng home a bird? It is constant thinking whether all the windows are closed so the bird won't get outside and get lost. They also must be aware of things like that..

There are so many things to mention that I will stop for now and let you consider this first.

IMO don't get a bird if you are not sure whether is the right moment to begin with.. Think of the bird first. When I aquired my bird there weren't these kind of information available about parrots/Greys so I thought I was prepared. If I had known this much (which is not a lot) as I do now I wouldn't get a Grey because the bird is the one who suffers if we can't, in any way, provide for them.

Edited by Morana

xx, good for you for doing your research first and asking yourself if this is something you can do properly at this point in your life. You sound like someone who will be an excellent parrot person when you're ready. Unfortunately, readiness involves some factors that are beyond your control right now - like the issue with the non-stick cookware. You might have to put it off until you have your own place. If so, you can put this time to good use by preparing for your Grey. Keep reading and learning, start a savings fund for him, find an avian vet, make or buy some toys, decide on a cage, research local breeders (or decide if you're going to rescue/rehome a bird) etc.

Good luck to you! I hope you don't have to wait too long.

It might be the best thing to wait until you are out on your own before getting a grey if your parents are unwilling to alter their lifestyle for using nonstick pans are no nos and the bird's cage should be placed where the family spends most of their time when home as they like to be a part of the flock.

I can only relate my personal story: My daughter wanted a parrot when she was 12. We rehomed an African Senegal that belonged to her piano teacher. My daughter is now 29 and I'm sitting here looking at "her" Senegal in my home. When she moved out she decided it would not be in Rocky's best interest to move him out of our house. He was very bonded to us as we were around a whole lot more than she was. Her dad was (and still is) Rocky's preferred person. That is something you might want to consider in helping to make a decision of now or later.

Wow, thanks for all of your replies!

Well, regarding the location of the cage, we finally agreed that the bird can stay inside the house in the living room, which I'm very happy about.

Morana, thank you for your very detailed answers, and yes, I have started thinking about cages, playstands, toys, vets, etc. However, I think I have been overestimating the size of cage that is needed. All of this stuff gets pretty pricey, but worth it. Haha, all of my younger siblings and I have told my parents that instead of going out or buying something for us for doing well in school, we just all want one bird. As for leaving on vacation, we have family members that live very close by so that they can just stop by our house to check up on the bird and talk to it (but I don't think we'll be going on vacation much...) Yes, I am still in school and will be off to college in a couple of years, but hopefully by then, the bird will learn to get along with everyone in the family so that it won't miss me too much. :( My parents are willing to get the bird and spend time with it, but they are just wary of buying one online. Around 4 people have tried to scam us with the exact same story about their nonexistent birds, and it's starting to get annoying to tell you the truth. I'm still looking around for an avian vet, and I wouldn't get a bird before finding one!

The problem right now is that my mom still thinks that the issue with nonstick pans is just a bunch of baloney, and that the internet is just making a big deal out of nothing. I keep insisting that it really is a big problem, and it's probably not good for us either. Then she goes to say that she wouldn't heat it to the prescribed "500 degrees F" but I don't want to risk anything. Sigh, by the way things are looking, I'm probably not ready for a grey and will probably have to wait until I get my own place (which might be a while, but good things happen to those who wait, right?). I will keep all of you updated on my current situation, and I will most likely ask more questions as I read more about these wonderful birds.

I am really glad that you want to inform yourself about owning a Grey. It is a great responsibility. I don't know are you aware of the fact that everyone in your family will have to know how to handle the bird, including ones that babysits her. Just yesterday, I think, I wrote how awful it is when the only people you can leave the bird with don't know how to care for it properly no matter how hard (and how many times) you try to explain it to them. Sitting with the bird and talking to it won't cut it. Are your parents prepared to be left with the bird, maybe even permanently, when you all leave for college, life,...?

Another thing...please don't even try to get the bird online. There are so many shelters for parrots. It would be very great of you if you would consider re homing a bird. Those birds surely need care. ..or at least contact some breeders.

And just want to mention (things you probably already know)..no smoking where the bird is, no feeding her crap. She needs special/proper diet. Food is also expensive. Also, you just need to be prepared that something can go wrong and, like me, maybe you'll have to pay vet checkups 3 days in a row. Lot of money... I am especially glad that you wouldn't get a bird before finding a vet. Make sure the vet is really good and that you trust him/her completely.

Ermm... hard one. I got my first parrots when I was around 20yo. I was in college already but still living with my family in Brazil. I got 2 parakeets and after 1-2 years someone asked me to take care of his parrots (2 Amazons) and I accepted. Big responsibility that I didn't think through at the time. Result: After a few years I got married and moved to the UK. My poor parrots had to stay with my family, very far from me. And I was their favourite person in the house. My parents couldn't stand the Amazons screaming anymore. The neighbours were complaining as well. With me gone they felt they had the right to re-home them. I couldn't do anything about it. After all I left them to my parents, who are now 65 and 71yo. I wasn't there so they did it. They kept my 2 parakeets but gave away my Amazons. Thank God it was to a member of our family. Which means I can still visit them when I go to my country. However, it's sad to the birds that keep being re-homed. Now I'm 29yo and I'm thinking of getting a Grey. I'm only thinking of it now because my life is finally stable. I have my own place, with my husband, who also likes parrots, and now I know exactly what type of responsibility it is to care for them. You will go to college in 2 years, God knows where, might not visit often, will find boyfriends and will probably lose interest in the parrot. It's my guess. So I'm truly sorry for what I'm gonna say because I know that's not what you want to hear but I believe you're not ready yet. I wasn't either when I got my first one. I thought of them as just another pet. They are not. They require different care and attention and don't forget a parrot can easily outlive us. Think twice before getting a Grey. He might end up with your parents and being re-homed like mine were. Maybe you could get something smaller, like Cockatiels or Budgies. They are easier to handle. Just a thought. Ahh another thing, if you do end up getting a parrot, I'm not sure you have the experience required to get a re-homed one. So probably better not. Good luck!

Edited by Popsicle

I think Popsicle's right. A parrot does require a fair amount of time and stability in your life, not to mention enough money. You're young, and your options are probably wide open for the next ten years or so. School, college, travel, career, relationships. I'm envious! Having all those options is fabulous. But it's probably not conducive to committing to an African Grey. Even though I'm sure you would love him and do your best, there will be wonderful opportunities ahead for you that won't work for a parrot, and you'll be left with no choice but to break his heart. :(

But...once your life has settled into a more predictable (and less exciting) routine, that would be the time to find your Grey. And you'll still be fairly young, so you can settle down and spend the rest of your lives together.

Thanks everyone! I read all of your answers and I agree that it will probably be best if I wait until I have my own place. I think having a Grey is equivalent to having a child, so if I wouldn't have a child at this age, I probably shouldn't invest in a Grey just yet! I think I am going to settle for maybe a smaller bird and build up on my experience so I can finally get the bird of my dreams. :) Thank you all for your opinions and I really appreciated it.

I think you have made a wise decision which shows a lot of maturity and it is like having a child around all the time with lots of responsibility so when you do get on your own and want that grey you will be a better parront so in the meantime research and read all you can to gain all the knowledge you can absorb so you will be ready for that day.

A cockatiel is a great first bird or even a conure but a tiel is quieter than a conure, again do some research to find what suits you best and stay in touch.

I'm happy with your decision. Seem the right thing to do for now. I read in many places that African Senegals are great pet birds. They are similar to the parakeets I had. And they were easy to look after and lots of fun. Keep us posted! :)

Edited by Popsicle

wow - I just have to reply to this thread - .... so so important that you are ready for this. Think of it as owning a 2 year old child for the rest of your life (or close to it.) - they need time out of the cage - EVERY day,... if you plan on having a family, you will be bringing your prior *baby* with you - and it is a huge commitment already. These birds are highly intelligent - Think of putting a 2 year old in a cage for 8 hours while you are at work, five days a week. That is what you are doing to a grey. Perhaps you might consider getting a different type of pet for now. I agonized for over a year before deciding to go ahead and get Zen. I am older, and my husband is semi-retired. Zen will most likely outlive both of us. And I only work 4 days a week myself. Zen is only left in his cage two days of the week for 6 hours. - The rest of the time he is out (or asleep)! - Do you have a room you can pretty much totally change into a Bird room? Stands, climbing ladders, things that hang from the ceiling for him to forage and play with? Do you have time to thoroughly wash and cut vegetables and fruit every day, prepare soak and cook, freeze packages of pre-made food, make TONS of toys, and every morning spend at least 30 minutes hiding fun things and food in their cage before you go to work so they have stuff to do? - I don't think I am exagerating in my care of my Grey. In fact I feel guilty I don't do more. I would suggest reading Alex and I by Irene Pepperberg just to get an idea of how smart Greys have the potential of being. Also read The African Grey Parrot handbook, and anything else you can get your hands on - also learn first aid for birds. This is only the beginning. I'm not trying to stop you from getting a Grey - they are a magical experience that will change your life. I just want to warn you of the huge commitment this is. - Good luck! And God Bless :) ... Zen's Mom.

ahh - my computer scrolled and I missed your other post - I think at this stage in your life you are making a good choice! Something you can look forward to without a doubt. You could even donate time to a bird shelter and get experience and time being with different types of parrots.

Hi guys! Just an update. Well, we decided to get a cockatiel. I thought we were going to get just one, but the person selling them was extremely generous and gave us two, plus the cage! Yay, I'm so happy! They're still kind of nervous, and if I were them, I wouldn't want people gawking at me 24/7, so I stopped staring and let them adjust. :) Aww, they're so cute. Once again, thank you all for replying. :D