NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I have a new baby coming

Barbara2

I wouldn't worry too much about the biting at this point, he is testing everything and they use their beak like we would a hand. He is like a very young child right now and wants to see if it is safe and what it is, if the biting persists later after you bring him home then is the time to nip that behavior but for now let him explore especially if they are only nips.

Most do chew at the harness so its best to keep him busy with something when he wears it so he will leave it alone but maybe when he starts to get to use it for flying activity he will like it a little better, means an outside trip to exercise those wings.

Thanks for sharing that last bunch of pictures, love that little tail bud and he is a gorgeous bird and won't be long now until he is home with you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have one picture today. He wasn't in the mood. He is in this phase where he wants to "feed" on fingers and arms and anything else he can get his beak on. Plus he's bigger so his bites are not pleasant. I'll be glad when he gets over this one!

ETA: He is 9 1/2 weeks old.

8_10.jpg

It's great that you are getting to know him now before you bring him home. The CAG I am getting is a vet who lives in my city and she has invited me to visit as often as I like after he/she is pulled and hand feeding begins. I was also thinking about getting a harness and getting the bird adjusted to it from the beginning. How was it getting it on him? Any struggle/issues? He's a handsome guy!

It's great that you are getting to know him now before you bring him home. The CAG I am getting is a vet who lives in my city and she has invited me to visit as often as I like after he/she is pulled and hand feeding begins. I was also thinking about getting a harness and getting the bird adjusted to it from the beginning. How was it getting it on him? Any struggle/issues? He's a handsome guy!

Last week when I visited I put the entire harness on him at one time. He was fine with it. That was the first time I tried it (at 8 1/2 weeks). After I put him on the table to take his picture, he noticed it and starting chewing on it. I skipped the harness training yesterday because he's in a very "bitey" phase right now. We'll try again next week.