NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need to find a foster or permanent home for Simon

Hello all. I have a 21 year old Congo Grey. I've had Simon since she was a 2 month old baby. I am sad to say that my life has changed drastically in the last two months. My 32 year old daughter moved back home with our 2 year old granddaughter and 2 week old grandson. We've tried everything in the past two months since the move-in to make everyone including Simon happy. All efforts have failed with Simon. I've made the hard decision that I need to find a new home for her. I was hoping this forum could be a resource so that I can find a good home for her. I live in Westminster Massachusetts (north-central part of the state) She has always been my only bird, and has always been in perfect health. In the early 90's, I lived in San Diego and worked at the Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital. From my education there, I learned how to take good care of parrots. She eats well, and is in good feather. Over the past couple of years, she's developed a few red feathers around her neck. When I bought her at two months, she had a leg deformiity (crooked foot) that has never changed and has never caused her any trouble eating or climbing. She is a surgically sexed female who has never laid eggs. She is an excellent talker, and not a timid bird around strangers (no growling or trying to hide). She spends her time in and out of her cage and is mostly quiet, with spells of talking and whistling. She loves my husband and tolerates me. She does bite and is not fond of being held. She will step up on a stick, and is generally an easy keeper. I am looking for someone who knows greys already and know that some birds (like Simon) are not cuddly creatures. I am looking for a good fit, perhaps a foster home, or a permanent home, a place that I could "check in" on her periododically. My situation could change in a couple of years, if my daughter and grandkids move. At that point, if Simon is placed in a foster home, I could possibly be in a position to take her back. But if she finds a great permanent home, I would not want to disrupt her again. My decision is heart-wrenching for me, but I know it is the right thing to do for her. Please let me know if any of you know of someone (hopefully in Massachusetts) that could give her a good home.

Karen Fortin

Westminster, Ma