NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My new African Grey is coming home

kathykrik06

186.jpg

188.jpg

I am getting a female african grey in about six weeks she was hatched in April sometime. I currently have a half moon conure and he is a boy I am concerened about the two birds. they will both be housed in the family room where we spend most of our time at. This will be my first African grey so any advise I would love

Edited by kathykrik06

I started with a small parrot and when I saw how wonderful she is, I wanted a second one. We now have a five year old female red-bellied cousin of the senegal, Java and a seven to ten year old Timneh African Grey (TAG) Gilbert. He was older so the introduction is taking a lot longer. We have had them in the same room for a couple of months now and they talk back and forth. Java is saying more recognizeable words now as she copies Gil. Just while I was typing she flew to the door of his cage and he came out to give her the business and she flew back into her own cage. He still can't fly due to plucking issues and she can, so it kind of equalizes the size difference. Your two may not ever become friends but they will learn to coexist. On the other hand, some birds of different species become very close, preening one another and being very friendly. I think it is very much up to the personality of the individual birds. It has been important for us to always feed the number one bird, Java, first. As long as we continue to approach her first and give her lots of attention she seems to accept Gilbert and he is okay with her being number one as long as she doesn't land on his territory. We are still vigilant and only let out one at a time when I can be on my best game watching over them.

I started with a sun conure before I got my grey and they do not get along but they co exist in the same room in separate cages, they are both out usually at the same time but the conure spends her time on me so it works well, they usually just ignore each other unless they get too close which doesn't happen a lot. I am sure you will find the balance that works for you when you get the new baby home, can't wait to see pictures and hear updates.