NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAG & TAG Survey

Popsicle

I'm here to gather information about the personality of both TAG and CAG through a survey. It might help me choose which Grey I'm gonna get and also to learn more about their behaviour. So it would be great if you could help me by grading the following questions from 1 to 4.

(1 = rarely or not at all / 2 = sometimes / 3 = often / 4 = very frequently)

Please start by stating whether your parrot is a TAG or CAG. Then follow to the questions:

1. Does he/she get on well with more than one member in the family?

2. Is he/she receptive to strangers?

3. Is he/she receptive to change / new things?

4. Is he/she cuddly?

5. Is he/she aggressive?

6. Is he/she playful / energetic?

7. Is he/she moody / grumpy?

8. Does he/she speak?

9. Is he/she loud, noisy?

10. Does he/she damage household objects they shouldn't?

Thanks a lot for your collaboration! :D

Edited by Popsicle

1. 4 Yes very much.

2. 4 Will often fly to a new person and scare the hell out of them.

3. 4 We buy a new toy come home unwrap it, Wash it, Hang it in her cage and in 20 min she has taken it apart.

4. 4 On her terms

5. 1

6. 4 Very playfull

7. 1

8. 4 all the time

9. 2

10. 2

Corky is a CAG

I'm here to gather information about the personality of both TAG and CAG through a survey. It might help me choose which Grey I'm gonna get. So it would be great if you could help me by grading the following questions from 1 to 4

Please start by stating whether your parrot is a TAG or CAG. Then follow to the questions:

8-9 year old male CAG

Yes

Yes

Yes

4. Is he/she cuddly?

Yes but only when he requests. 3

5. Is he/she aggressive?

No 1

Yes

No

8. Does he/she speak?

Yes. Often in context to comment on or ask for something.

The donkeys round here have no hind legs :-) 4

Chatty and musical but not noisy.

Yes. 3

Thanks a lot for your collaboration! :D

Steve n Misty parrot CAG

Edited by Mistyparrot

I haven't had contact with African Greys before, apart from once, for a short time. So this has been so helpful!! Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. :D

Please everyone, post your answers!!! I would really appreciate more info.

Thanks.

Simon's a 6-month old CAG.

1. Does he/she get on well with more than one member in the family? 2

2. Is he/she receptive to strangers? No, but prefers female strangers. 2

3. Is he/she receptive to chance / new things? Usually 3

4. Is he/she cuddly? 3

5. Is he/she aggressive? 2

6. Is he/she playful / energetic? 3

7. Is he/she moody / grumpy? 1

8. Does he/she speak? Not yet (speaks lovebird, plus he can bark and whistle)

9. Is he/she loud, noisy? 1

10. Does he/she damage household objects they shouldn't? Of course!

Moussa is an 18-month-old CAG.

1. Does he/she get on well with more than one member in the family? Yes, 4

2. Is he/she receptive to strangers? 2, He's kind of shy of strangers.

3. Is he/she receptive to chance / new things? 4, He has no problem with new toys, etc.

4. Is he/she cuddly? 1, Not cuddly like the cockatoo, but does love to have his head and beak rubbed and scratched.

5. Is he/she aggressive? 1, So far, he has been very good natured and gentle.

6. Is he/she playful / energetic? 4, Yes, he loves to play exuberantly with his toys and on hanging bungees

7. Is he/she moody / grumpy? 2, Not really grumpy, but does have his moods as to whether he feels like being petted or not

8. Does he/she speak? 4, He imitates all the other birds, household sounds, and also speaks in my voice and in the conure's voice. He can be quite chatty.

9. Is he/she loud, noisy? 2, Especially when imitating the other birds. But he is quiet most of the time.

10. Does he/she damage household objects they shouldn't? 2, It's official - he is a parrot.

Thanks you all for answering my survey. It's good to know how the average Greys behave. Shame I haven't had anyone here with a Timneh. But it's been good so far. :)

10. Does he/she damage household objects they shouldn't? 2, It's official - he is a parrot.

haha I know parrots love to chew and explore new stuff and in the process they can end up being quite destructive. But my parakeets used to be pretty good. And I've seen people saying their Greys are not very destructive either. But I also see others saying their house is totally destroyed. lol So I'm trying to grab info about how bad it is in average. You said 2. 2 doesn't sound that bad. ;)

Dayo, 4 year old CAG

1. Does he/she get on well with more than one member in the family? - 4

2. Is he/she receptive to strangers?- 4 - Sure come on over if you'd like to have a CAG stuck to your shoulder. :P

3. Is he/she receptive to chance / new things? - 4 to change, 1 to new toys never seen before and some items.

4. Is he/she cuddly? - 2 with me, 4 with my wife

5. Is he/she aggressive? - 2 If you bug him, you'll get bit

6. Is he/she playful / energetic? - 4 A freaking maniac when he decides it's play time

7. Is he/she moody / grumpy? - 2 He likes to sit and just chill and preen many times through out the day

8. Does he/she speak? - 4

9. Is he/she loud, noisy? - 2 - sometimes he gets into sounds effects and whitsle mode and it can be VRY LOUD and go on for a good 20 or 30 minutes.

10. Does he/she damage household objects they shouldn't? - 4 if you let him. :P

1. Does he/she get on well with more than one member in the family? 2

2. Is he/she receptive to strangers? 1

3. Is he/she receptive to change / new things? 2

4. Is he/she cuddly? 2

5. Is he/she aggressive? 1

6. Is he/she playful / energetic? 4

8. Does he/she speak? 4

10. Does he/she damage household objects they shouldn't? 1

I have a 9 month old female CAG

1. Does he/she get on well with more than one member in the family? 2 really bonded to me but tolerates one daughter, hates other daughter

2. Is he/she receptive to strangers? 2 shy

3. Is he/she receptive to change / new things? 4 loves new foods, toys, and outings!

4. Is he/she cuddly? 4+++++ we smooch constantly

5. Is he/she aggressive? 1 with me, 2 with others

6. Is he/she playful / energetic? 2 she prefers to be peetedand scratched

7. Is he/she moody / grumpy? 1 she is very cheerful!

8. Does he/she speak? 1 but makes lots of sounds and whistles

9. Is he/she loud, noisy? 1 she will sing and chatter but it's not loud.

10. Does he/she damage household objects they shouldn't? 4 anything she can get her beak on :o

This survey made me realize how much I adore my baby!! She's the best even when she is being a bratty baby :)

I have a TAG who will be 3 years old in August.

1. Does he/she get on well with more than one member in the family? (if my family didn't have their own homes it would be a 4).

I live alone so yes she and I get along great. She does like 2 grandsons very much who see her frequently. My daughter she tolerates if she has pistachios to share!

2. Is he/she receptive to strangers? 1

I don't encourage interaction with strangers as I don't want anyone taking my grey. I don't allow anyone but my family to touch my grey. My choice.

3. Is he/she receptive to change / new things? 4

I have had no problems giving her new toys or things. I just put them up and she accepts them. I am her mommy.

4. Is he/she cuddly? 4

Very cuddly with me. I touch her everyday, and she allows oodles of scratches and tickles on her head and shoulders. I do not touch her other places. She is out of her cage most all day so is very close to me.

5. Is he/she aggressive? 1

Only if you count bites if I catch her up when she does not want to go into her cage. Otherwise she is a doll.

6. Is he/she playful / energetic? 4

Yes all the times.

No, never

8. Does he/she speak? 4

Yes, very well

I least once a day, I believe to clear her lungs/mind. Otherwise she talks normally.

10. Does he/she damage household objects they shouldn't? 2

But, of course, she is a bird you know!!!!

I live alone and am retired so the only time Ana Grey is not with me is when she sleeping in the bird room. Otherwise she can come and go as she wants and has always been independent and flies back and forth from birdroom to where ever I am as she wants. Ana Grey is independent and very confident.

Gemma is a CAG - she's not quite 9 months old and I've had her for about 4 months, so some things may change with time, but here goes:

She's primarily a one-person bird but is starting to tolerate my husband

As long as they don't try to touch her. She doesn't growl if they are just nearby or talking to her.

No, pretty cautious, but if I show her how to play with something new, she will try it, too.

4. Is he/she cuddly?

Very!

5. Is he/she aggressive?

No

OH, yeah!

Rarely

8. Does he/she speak?

She's young, but starting to talk

Very rarely

Given the chance she probably would but she's watched carefully when out.

Thank you all for the new posts. It's been great for me to see the differences between each of your birds. I feel mainly happy to know Greys are not particularly loud. My Amazons were the equivalent to Cockatoos in terms of screaming. And our neighbours would always comment on it. lol Also glad to know they are rarely aggressive and that in most of the examples given here the Greys get on well with more than one person in the family. Me and my husband are hoping ours will like both of us. So thanks again. And please keep posting. Every information is welcome. :)

Edited by Popsicle

Loki is a 3 year old CAG.

Yes. Most days she preferes to sit with her Daddy, but there are days where she wants to be with me.

Mostly. As long as they don't go rushing up to her or near her cage. If they are ignoring her, she will fly in to get a closer look.

She's cautious and will get spooky from time to time, but we play with the object and show her, she calms down fast.

4. Is he/she cuddly?

Only at night when she's stalling at bedtime. She'll ask for scritches until your fingers hurt.

5. Is he/she aggressive?

No, unless she's trying to get her point across and we've ignored her. She'll give us a nip.

Very! I've noticed her mood will change to coincide with ours. If hubby and I are up and loud and doing things, so is she. She will be more playful and louder. If we're taking an easy day, she will rest with us or chill on her boing, all fuzzed up and one-legging it.

Not really, only when she's really tired, will she be a bit more nippy.

8. Does he/she speak?

Yes, very well.

Only if we are.

We try to keep the "valuables" out of her reach, but there are a few occations she's gotten to the remote or a game controler and had a ton of fun.

Lollie 7 month old TAG

Mainly only likes me, will sometimes tolerate my daughter if I am not around. Prefers to have nothing to do with the men in the household....unless they have food :)

Interested in them at a distance, tolerates them close to cage but will not step-up for them.

She is actually very receptive to change and accepts new toys with gusto.

4. Is he/she cuddly?

Likes to snuggle in to my neck for scritches in the evening and any other time she can get scritches. Will also snuggle in to my chest. Of course, this is only on her time :)

5. Is he/she aggressive?

Never been aggressive to me. Can appear aggressive to other family members but will step up if they are sure handed and don't pull away when she lunges.

Very, loves to explore and play but also will chill and relax.

Only when tired and wants to go to bed and I've ignored her cues.

8. Does he/she speak?

Yes, she has begun speaking and we have recognized several things. Makes lots of interesting sounds too.

Only when I am making breakfast in the morning, she tries to talk over the microwave, facet etc. I wouldn't really call it noisy though, does not compare to my friends cockatoo!

Not yet, but I am sure at some point she will.....she sure can make toothpicks out of her toys!

we have a tag and a cag they both get along with everyone in our family

Rudy is most of the time but Cody our cag has to see you a few times before he will warm up to you

change does not bother Rudy but it usually takes Cody a few days to get use to something new

4. Is he/she cuddly?

both my tag and my cag are still cuddly especially in the afternoon or a night right before bedtime

5. Is he/she aggressive?

no neither one of my greys are aggressive

they are both fully flighted and they play and fly all

no unless they are playing and do not want to be bothered

8. Does he/she speak?

Rudy our tag says very few words , Cody our cag is just beginning to talk , he will be a year old July 7th

sometimes , they like to imatate the sounds of my quakers and our sunconure sometimes

no I have never had a problem with them destroying anything yet , but I make sure I have bird proofed all of the rooms I can

I like your answers, RudysMum. Thanks. :) Love the fact they are friendly with the whole family and haven't destroyed anything yet. lol How do you bird proof the rooms? I worry mainly about cables, even though we don't have many cables exposed... only laptop cables and the cables behind the TV stand.

I try to keep all things I know the birds can destroy put up as far as the cables go Cody's cage is right in front of our cable outlet and the plugs for his spectram lighting , I have a good sized board in front of both of them and so far that is working and Codys cage doesn't go all the ways to the ground that helps to he has a shorter cage , I still have to keep my eyes on him , right now he likes to get a hold of our blinds that cover the living room window and he has managed to chew a few of them but I replaced them and I have one extra panel just incase

1) 4 Loves my husband but not as much as me.

2) 3 Loves visitors and loves to be around new people, but being touched is not allowed

3) 4 Loves new stuff! He really perks up when something new is introduced into his environment.

4) 4 Super cuddly

5) 2 Not very often, but when he is, I make him fly between rooms to burn off his energy. He loves to fly.

6) 4 Always playful and energetic. He loves to be alive and it is infectious.

7) 1 Never

8) 4 ALL the time!

9) His dialogue is conversational rather than loud.

10) 3 Yes, he loves to destroy things. Because of that, our furniture and some other things are covered with pillows and comforters.

Thanks for posting your answer again, chezron. :) Yesterday I was reading a magazine I received from The Parrot Society UK and again they were describing Greys as a one person parrot. This was one of the reasons I decided to create this survey. And it's been great to find out this "one person bird" statement is in most of the cases inaccurate. I know they will always pick a favourite person. But my main concern is that he would like me and hate my husband or vice versa. I know that can still happen, but I'm more hopeful it won't, considering most CAGs here like more than one person in the house. Fingers crossed!