NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greetings from Virginia!

Hello Doug and welcome to our family, as you can see I am from Virginia also probably about 15 miles from you to be exact, glad to have a fellow Virginian join us on the forum.

Where are you getting your grey from if I may ask? Do you have any other birds or parrots? Is this your first ever grey? Did you go to the SWVBC Bird Fair that was held this past Saturday? There were some baby greys there along with lots of other birds for sale.

You have come to the right place to learn all you need to know before bringing your precious baby home so do read thru the threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Thanks for including a picture of your Tag in your opening post.

I had a pair of cockatiels years ago. I've been wanting to get a grey but I wanted to wait until our house was cat-free. When it was, we were (unfortunately) cash-free!

I saw the signs for the SWVBC Bird Fair so I talked to my wife about the possibility of getting a grey now that she's working again and money isn't so tight. She begrudgingly agreed (she remembers the mess from the cockatiels) so my 8-year-old son and I went to the Bird Fair. (I wanted my son's "buy-in" because I want him to spend a lot of time talking to the bird when I am away on business trips. (Since he talks almost non-stop, it is just a matter of where he directs his output...)

We spent some time talking to Jeanette with Mountain Ridge Aviary (Mt. Solon, VA). I couldn't make a commitment at the time as I had to research the process/requirements to bring a bird into the Dominican Republic (we plan to buy a vacation/retirement home there). Once I went home and checked on that, I called up Jeanette and reserved the baby TAG that she had at the show.

My son and I are VERY excited. (So much so that I am wasting time on this forum when I should be working...)

We haven't selected a name yet as we are waiting the results of the DNA sexing. (Late next week...)

I am looking into west African religions/mythology/words as that seems appropriate! Maybe Anansi or Shango?

Of course, another option is west African words that moved to this hemisphere. My brother-in-law is Puerto Rican and he suggested a number of words that have become part of the everyday language of Puerto Rico. I'm considering malango/malanga (prone to mischief).

Hello Doug and welcome to our family, as you can see I am from Virginia also probably about 15 miles from you to be exact, glad to have a fellow Virginian join us on the forum.

Where are you getting your grey from if I may ask? Do you have any other birds or parrots? Is this your first ever grey? Did you go to the SWVBC Bird Fair that was held this past Saturday? There were some baby greys there along with lots of other birds for sale.

You have come to the right place to learn all you need to know before bringing your precious baby home so do read thru the threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Thanks for including a picture of your Tag in your opening post.

Then I saw you at the bird fair for I was there all day helping out as I am a member of that bird club and you are welcome to join us if you like. I saw those baby greys so I saw the one you are getting, there were a lot of beautiful birds there looking for new homes and many found them.

Yes sadly this will be one of the longest waits of your life but it will be here soon and then the real fun begins.

Jeanette said that she will send a picture of the baby every week so we can watch it grow. I'm not sure if that will make the time go by faster or slower!!

Well it will show you how fast they can grow for there will be such a difference from one week to the next until they get fully feathered, just stay busy as that tends to make the time go quicker.

Congratulations on finding your little one and thanks for joining us. It is amazing how much information is available through this forum. I learned more here than from all my other sources combined and it is helping me in a relationship with a delightful companion. Your journey is just beginning, you will have miles of smiles in the near future.

I think that is so smart of you to research the African names, *I really dig Shango (CHANGO) if it was a male*, theres so many beautiful exotic names in the Youruba religion, that if you were to research a bit, you'd find the perfect name. (Orula, Ochun, Yemaya, Oya, Eleggua, Obatala just to name a few) Congratulations on taking the plunge, and your definatly in the right place to learn. I made so many mistakes before finding Grey Forums, and now that Im here its great, everyone has been so nice and im sure that you'll see the harmony, and love it here also.

• 2 months later...

After a lot of time on line and a lot of angst, I have settled on Elegua (eh LEG wa) because it lends itself well to nicknames: Ellie & Ellie-bird. (Even though Elegua is typically a male god, there is also a path of Elegua where the essence is of a woman.)

Elegua is the Lucumi* version of Eshu, who is a spirit of Chaos and Trickery (seems appropriate!). One source said, "Since he is as playful as a child, tops, marbles and kites hold a special fascination for him." Again, appropriate!! The same source described Elegua as being "Like a very large and powerful child". Another source says, "This extravert loves being the center of attention." Since Elegua is a messenger to the higher Gods, of course he has a command of all languages.

(*Lucumi is an Afro-Dominican/Afro-Cuban ethnic group. Many Lucumi claim to be of Yoruba ancestry. The Yoruba are from Southwestern Nigeria, Southern and Central Benin and Central Togo which are within the Timneh's natural range. I picked the Lucumi variant because of the sound and because my wife & I plan to retire to the Dominican Republic, so it seemed extra fitting.)

• 2 weeks later...