NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do baby mourn their breeder and clutch mates?

mcuellar2413

Hi,

Do you think that baby grey's miss their breeder and/or clutch mates when they join their new flocks? I was thinking about when you breed puppies they just happily go to their new owners without a care in the world but grey's are so different. I wonder if their incredible intelligence and memory make it harder on them to go from breeder to new family. Please let me know your thoughts on the matter, maybe I am just giving greys human emotions.

I got Isaac a bit early...around 9 weeks. I also went to visit him while I was waiting to take him home. Doing that, the transition was wonderful. He warmed up to me very quickly. In fact, that is why I picked him. He was the one in the clutch coming over to see me and wedge himself next to me. I know that some greys will have a little bit of adjustment time. However, I think it can be minimized by keeping a very calm environment, soft speaking..and just love and care. Cannot go wrong with those ingredients. Before you know it, your grey will be in complete control...not to worry. ;)

I think most animals have a comfort level. Once born a bird or dog only knows a few things, it’s feed by its mother (and or dad in some cases) and it has brothers and sisters (Ok, they know they have others living with him/her). Animals like this will look for reassurance. What happens when a bird falls out of the nest or a kitten or puppy feels it is too far away or lost? It calls out for its mom or cries for help. When you bring home a puppy for example all may be fine but once the lights go off the first few nights that puppy will call out for its mom and litter (That's what it is use to). It may be hell for some of us those first few night lol.

Sure, IMO I even think birds are use to a routine and stress in a new home and around new people.

When I brought Ana Grey home she cuddled right up to me. Her breeder told me to cuddle and talk to her. That she was use to it and would fit right in quicker. I did as she told me and Ana Grey and I have been buddies from the beginning. Millie, the breeder, and I talked often and she told me that the rest of her siblings were a little lost with out Ana Grey, as Ana Grey was more or less the boss on the bunch. There were a total of five babies in Ana Grey's clutch. Millie did not ship her babies, you had to come and get them and she sent home oodles of food and information about your new grey.

Was Isacc weaned?

No..he was not weaned..and with education..I elected to feed him myself. I have had experience feeding babies and wanted to really take care of my sweetie. I dont recommend it to the casual bird lover. I love my baby to levels I nwver thought would happen. I knew that I loved birds...but my Isaac has tought me so much. He is sleeping o. My knee as I type this message. He is amazing. And..he is really a wonderful companion and a best friend. Hope there are not too many mistakes..I am doong this on a smart phone.

Sorry to break topic. In short...I would say thay if you have a pure heart when in comes to taking on one of these magnificent creatures..you will do well. Its the people who are looking for a 'really cool pet' that scare me.

Edited by Elvenking

Emotions are so hard to quantify in other creatures. There is no doubt as kingsnake said, that they miss the comfort of the environment they resided in for 12 to 20 weeks. But to what what level is the unanswerable question.

We visited the clutches at the breeders from 6 weeks old onward. A few greys chose us and when we took dayo home at 15 weeks old, he was perfectly happy and content, as far as we could tell.But still, he had to miss to some extent the environment, creatures, people and routine in the hatching and weaning home of the breeders that treated them with tons of love.

My question back to you is, why do you ask? Are you just pondering or are you experiencing some type of event with a grey that displays what may be perceived as separation anxiety?

I am just pondering. My Chihuahua just had a litter of puppies that both died, she really didn't seem to care. Anyway is got me thinking about how smart grey's are and I have read they have incredible memories. Don't mind me I am a psych student so I like to torture myself with these questions.

Our breeder had at least three decades of experience, plus worked in an avian vet's office. She had a firm rule than no bird from the clutch went to the new home until all in the clutch were weaned and ready. She said the loss of the clutchmates would cause the slower-developing chick to regress and later it would be less secure. From my experience, Gilbert remembers his former homes and something will remind him and he has reactions that I believe do cause him to be quieter, somewhat wistful, it is odd to explain. Our first parrot, Java (red-bellied) had a brief experience with a foster cockatiel at our home for five months, five years ago. Yet today if any one talks on the phone with Milo's current home, she will still make his call and she didn't even seem to have liked him.

My Chihuahua just had a litter of puppies that both died, she really didn't seem to care.

I think animals have an instinct that takes over when their little ones die and sometimes some animals will eat their little ones for it is nature to get rid of the sick and the weak, they sense that something is not right, thats why your dog didn't seem to care for she knew something you didn't.

Katana, that's amazing about java and the cockatiel. Wow.

Personally, in response to the original question, I think they do miss their previous flock. It's all they know - it was their whole world. But I also think they adapt very quickly (as babies) to their new flock. They just transfer their dependency and attachment to their new person and get on with the business of learning and growing.