NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrot Owners: Time + Complaints

Popsicle

He's a fussy eater, huh? hehe I understand now what you mean with not knowing how to deal with him in the first years. I was the same with my previous parrots. That's why I'm trying to learn everything I can to do things different this time. And this forum has helped me sooo much. Hope I succeed. I think you should contact Dave anyway. He's called Dr. Flock here as he understands a lot about Greys. hehe He might be able to help you with ideas for treats, training, etc. :)

Thank You Popsicle and Morana!

After reading about your experiences in this thread I've been inspired to buy a couple books on Grey's and educate myself a little more on training. Although I have learned so much here already! I ordered Alex and Me, as well as for the Love of Greys.

I just wanted to mention- I tried rewarding with attention or if he is scared with something like "click with a clicker means the scary thing is going to go away" and here I had some success but not so much. I figured he connected two things he shouldn't have: clicker+being scared. No matter that the scary thing goes away after the click, the clicker is always associated with something scary so the clicker becomes negatively reinforced. My mistake was that I didn't positive reinforce clicker on its own to begin with... Now I don't give fruit in the bowl at all , instead i click and reward,and again, click and reward,.. I started that on Tuesday so we'll see how that goes.. Also, one of the videos that I saw today made me pay even closer attention to unwanted sounds Zak makes. I started completely ignoring unwanted sounds and reinforce with attention the ones I like. I'll reward it with food when I find something I can carry easily in my pocket;-) The thing I'm gonna try tomorrow is not giving breakfast, instead click and reward with fruits and serve breakfast when I am off to work so he would be preoccupied enough instead of screaming when I'm leaving..

Morana: I used this method for clicker training my BB when he began biting me when I tried to pick him up, it worked very well.

I watched it and that is exactly what I am doing now, but big tnx anyway;-)

PS about one of my recent posts here: Zak began to screem when I go to work since we moved to new apartment so this is something to be aware of for those who are moving sometime soon;-) I believe he is still a bit unsure about his surroundings so he doesn't want to be left alone and causes him to react this way. I hope he gets comfortable really soon:-)

Edited by Morana

Does Zak have foraging toys? It's always good to distract them with lots of toys and also rotate them so they don't get bored. I also think your idea of giving him breakfast only when you're off to work is good. (as long as he's not screaming of course, otherwise you'll be reinforcing the screaming). But I believe by doing that he will soon associate you leaving for work with something good (breakfast, treats, toys to play with). Hope it works well. Keep us updated. :)

Have had birds since 1986. I have never given one away. And yes, they do drive me a little crazy at times, but mostly they are reacting to my stress. I will tell you, however, that the good times and the laughter they elicit because of their antics, far out way temporary bad behaviors. I mean everyone has a bad day occasionally!

I believe problematic behaviors are cleverness challenges and if you are smart and work with the birds' natural wants and desires you can bring about change. Like Dan says birds, like humans, have good and bad days. For example our newest parrot is a Panama Amazon who has one extremely loud and ear-piercing sound that he makes periodically. I believe it is an attention-getting sound, and yes, maybe he got someone to run over and yell at him for doing it before, and that got the desired attention, even if it was negative attention. My plan is to soundlessly walk out of the room if he screams and to shower him with attention when he say "words" which he does. Food is also a good motivator.

My quaker can be loud at times, but I think it is a joyful noise where he is announcing his quakerness. Birds are the pets most like people where you will have squabbles, as well as, joyful episodes. I wouldn't change one thing about them or my experience with them.