NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need help with my new CAG.

robow

Hi, I just acquired my first African Grey about 2 weeks ago and I have a couple problems/questions about behavior and parrot life.

The first issue is, I never see my bird drink. If I put water on my finger he will lick it off, other than that I don't see anything. I change the water in his bowl several times a day to ensure it is as clean as possible, so maybe I just don't notice the small amount he drinks. The breeder assured me that he is drinking and not to worry, but I would like a second opinion.

While were on the subject of drinking I would like Icarus (Parrots name forgot to mention earlier) to drink from a bottle instead of a dirty bowl. I have put a bottle on his cage and tried to show him that is where water comes from but I don't know if he understands. Does anyone have any tips that will help him use the bottle?

The other major issue we have is biting. I know it has been talked about over and over, but everything I see deals with aggressive biting. I don't think it is aggressive or a fear response because it happens kind of randomly, but mostly in the morning. He will be sitting on my hand see my thumb and decide to bite the snot out of it. Is this normal or should I be worried? If it helps any he is only four months old.

Thanks for your time and help. If you need more information post a question and I will get back as soon as possible.

1 tip that I heard about getting them to drink from a water bottle is to put a tiny smear of peanut butter on the drinking bottle tip. They smell the peanut butter and it directs them to the bottle. I've not tried this myself. I just bought bottles to try and see if I can get them to use them. I haven't put them in the cages yet.

Edited by Barbara2

When I switched to a bottle, all I did was put it right above his water bowl and right away he started to look ant touch it. Then he figured it out, I waited about a week before I took his bowl, then monitored the water level of the bottle to make sure he was using it. He still gets to use a water bowl when he is on his stand.

Is there a particular reason one would use a water bottle over a bowl, besides the fact that it's cleaner?

They can't make birdie soup with a water bottle but some may think that they don't have to change the water as often if they use a bottle but you should still change the water at least once a day for everyone loves fresh water and I have heard of some birds putting a seed or something in the end of the water bottle so the water drains out, what fun they can have when they figure it out.

To answer Robow's question about the biting, since your grey is only 4 months old he is exploring, he is curious about your fingers but if he is applying too much pressure then tell him "no bite" and direct his attention elsewhere, they use their beaks like we would our hands and fingers so he is testing the waters so to speak.

Is there a particular reason one would use a water bottle over a bowl, besides the fact that it's cleaner?

A good read on this topic....

http://theafricangreyparrot.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=682.0

One of the most common health problems that veterinarians encounter in birds is bacterial infection. And, the most common source for infection is the water bowl.

An open dish is a breeding ground for bacteria. Most birds will poop or dunk food in their water dish. These organic materials feed the bacteria and cause them to grow even faster. Bacterial growth is measured in doubling time - the time it takes for bacteria to double in number. Doubling time for many bacteria is 2-3 hours. This means that when you put a clean water dish in the cage at 9:00 AM, by 1:00 PM there is enough bacteria growing in the water to potentially cause illness, even in a healthy bird. This situation is completely avoided when using water bottles.

When putting the bottle on your bird’s cage, mount it above a perch the height of your bird’s head. Be sure to fill the bottle completely to prevent leaking. One or two drops will escape to form the vacuum.

Switching your bird is very easy. After all, hamsters drink from a bottle and we all know that birds are much more intelligent than hamsters. It is my theory that birds are able to smell water. Simply showing birds where the bottle is in the cage will be enough to get them to switch. Just tap the little ball on the end of the drinker when your bird is watching. The noise and bubbles will make your bird curious. When your bird beaks the ball, water will come out and your bird will immediately be on a bottle. If not, then remove the water dish in the morning. In the evening offer your bird water in a dish. If your bird does not drink form the dish, then it probably drank from the bottle during the day. If it does drink from the dish then it likely did not drink from the bottle during the day. Repeat demonstrating the bottle to your bird until you are comfortable that your bird is drinking during the day. Nearly all birds will drink during the first day.

The bottle must be changed every day. The bottle and tube need to be scrubbed and disinfected daily.

One of the most often concerns expressed is that 'My bird likes to wet its food'. No problem. Birds can still wet its food with the bottled. Candy, our resident Congo African grey nearly always wets her pellets and treats. She simply gets the food in her beak and then drinks from the bottle.

There is no reason not to put your bird on a bottle!

Article by Dr. Gregory Burkett, Board Certified Avian Veterinarian

I'm going to try the Bird Butler from http://www.birdsetc.com/ for our new CAG (mid July)... seems to have great reviews and can stand up to larger parrots...

I tried a cheaper bottle once, with the same kind of tip, and Babalu played with it until the bottle was empty. He would hold the lever with his tongue and all the water would drain out, hope you have better luck.

I'm going to try the Bird Butler from http://www.birdsetc.com/ for our new CAG (mid July)... seems to have great reviews and can stand up to larger parrots...

That valve is the same kind I use to use for breeding mice and rats for my snakes. I checked the prices, seems very over priced for what it is and the materials used.

It's the best valve I found for rats and mice but they do have their issues.

Like Rats, Birds can lodge stuff in the valve and will drip till it is empty. Probably not as much of an issue with this product as it is with my rats who had a 5 gal bucket full of water.

I went a year without problems but after time I got poor water flow and had to take the valve apart and clean it. Sometimes the valve would leak for no reason, you might want to buy a few extra valves to have on hand. You may never need them but just incase.

Besides that they were great!

I'm thinking of the glass bottles with a ball for water.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Z160G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A21IRDTVIXZJ89

Edited by kingsnake

Some birds might try and stuff food up the tube on the Lixit bottles also, you should still keep an eye on it and make sure the tube is clear in between cleanings. Also, if you do not tap the ball a few times and create the vacuum seal before putting it on the cage, the bird might not be able to get any water out. My grey like the large tube, 5/8 I believe, as the water flow is more. I had the medium tip and he seemed like he was getting made at the bottle for not getting enough water so I switched and everything is fine :)

Some birds might try and stuff food up the tube on the Lixit bottles also, you should still keep an eye on it and make sure the tube is clear in between cleanings. Also, if you do not tap the ball a few times and create the vacuum seal before putting it on the cage, the bird might not be able to get any water out. My grey like the large tube, 5/8 I believe, as the water flow is more. I had the medium tip and he seemed like he was getting made at the bottle for not getting enough water so I switched and everything is fine :)

I agree, it all comes down to opionion and what works for you errr I mean your bird. I don't think anything is perfect but...