NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help with bar spacing.

abbie21187

What is the necessary bar spacing for a TAG? Eva will be coming home very soon and I purchased a cage with 1 inch bar spacing online. Here's a picture:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LLYSvGTvL._AA160_.jpg

The dimensions are 36"X27"X56" and again with 1 inch bar spacing.

When discussing with the store which cage I had purchased, the woman said that 1 inch spacing is too big for a TAG and she could get her head stuck and strangle. She's trying to sell me on a cage with 3/4 inch spacing that is also nice but about $100 more. I can return the cage I purchased if it is not safe, but I have read many places that 1 inch spacing is fine for a TAG.

No one here has steered me wrong yet and I have been very appreciative of your assisting me with my questions. So let me know if this spacing will be safe for my TAG.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

What is the necessary bar spacing for a TAG? Eva will be coming home very soon and I purchased a cage with 1 inch bar spacing online. Here's a picture:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LLYSvGTvL._AA160_.jpg

The dimensions are 36"X27"X56" and again with 1 inch bar spacing.

When discussing with the store which cage I had purchased, the woman said that 1 inch spacing is too big for a TAG and she could get her head stuck and strangle. She's trying to sell me on a cage with 3/4 inch spacing that is also nice but about $100 more. I can return the cage I purchased if it is not safe, but I have read many places that 1 inch spacing is fine for a TAG.

No one here has steered me wrong yet and I have been very appreciative of your assisting me with my questions. So let me know if this spacing will be safe for my TAG.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1 inch spacing is much to big for a TAG. The biggest should be no more than 3/4 inch. A small bird such as a TAG can stick it's head through 1 inch and may not be able to pull it back out.

Another reason why it's too big has to do with the feet/talons. A bird should be able to grip 2 of those bars at the same time without having to stretch it's foot out to it's limit. The more the stretch, the less the gripping power. Parrots don't walk on one bar. They need 2 to strongly grip it. One inch is stretching it out too much.

1 inch spacing is much to big for a TAG. The biggest should be no more than 3/4 inch. A small bird such as a TAG can stick it's head through 1 inch and may not be able to pull it back out.

Another reason why it's too big has to do with the feet/talons. A bird should be able to grip 2 of those bars at the same time without having to stretch it's foot out to it's limit. The more the stretch, the less the gripping power. Parrots don't walk on one bar. They need 2 to strongly grip it. One inch is stretching it out too much.

I read online somewhere that in other countries, the standard is that a parrot's head should be able to go in and out of the bars easily, but not the body. Whatever article it was said that only in the US do people stress not allowing a parrot's head to get through the bars at all. So I was like, okay, whatever. But that second point you made makes perfect sense, sometimes my little guys land on Marcus' dome-ish cagetop (when he's on his playgym, usually, else I'm up and running before toes get nipped!) and you can see their little feet are just so uncomfortable walking on such far-apart bars.

Thanks so much, that's all I needed to hear I'll get a 3/4" spacing. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just being pressured to buy a cage from the store. I really want whats safe so I will be returning the other cage.

Thanks so much!