NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm at my wits end!!!

fidsandfrats

From the pictures I post of Slater one would think he is always happy and has no issues. The fact is he does have issues and I am nearly at my wits end and don't know what to do or how to handle him.

Slater was 2 in May. He came to me clipped (severely) and never flew until recently. He is now fully flighed but doesn't fly because he wants to, he flies only when he has to like when he is spooked. If he wants to be with his favorite person or he wants to be in another location instead of flying there he'll sit flapping his wings, make his high pitched chirp and bite his nails (been doing this for a good year). Why doesn't he just fly to wherever or whoever he wants instead of acting like a drama queen?

When it's time to go to bed and I say "nite nite" he starts biting his nails and acting nervous. I don't know what's going on and wh he doesn't like going to bed so much. I've tried different things. I've tried covering him, not covering him and closing his cage door, or leaving the door open, etc; however, once the light goes out he takes his position in his cage on his swing and he good for the night. I do leave his cage door open so he can come out in the morning.

Every morning I go into the bird room and visit with the birds before work. I greet Slater first and he is very sweet and wanting to be pet and I enjoy this time. When I get home from work he acts like a different bird towards me wanting nothing to do with me.

I'm not sure if he is 100% ok with the room still. I recently added a Red Fronted Macaw to my flock which probably didn't help matters.

I cannot move him or anyone else out of the room so that is not an option. I have to deal with his issues in that room with him and the other birds there.

HELP!!!! I'm at my wits end.

you might try adding a cover to one side of his cage to provide him a little privacy, perhaps the side between him and the scary new birds? Do you play any music for them when you are not there? Are you tense when approaching his cage at bedtime? Suggest offering a treat when you get home or at the night night time to provide something positive with the action and words.

you might try adding a cover to one side of his cage to provide him a little privacy, perhaps the side between him and the scary new birds? Do you play any music for them when you are not there? Are you tense when approaching his cage at bedtime? Suggest offering a treat when you get home or at the night night time to provide something positive with the action and words.

I'll try a cover to separate him from others at night. When he gets in his moods there is no treat or toy or anything he wants. It's very frustrating.

Edited by fidsandfrats

I can understand your frustration! I am dealing with a territorial "drama queen" as well. From what it sounds like to me, is you are getting some sort of a fear response. Something in the equation has changed, and considering you have had him a short time, as my some of my fellow forumers here have said, there is always the initial honeymoon phase. There may have been some underlying issues with him before you got him, and he is now confortable to "show his true colors". Now this isn't a reason to give up, just a few strategies could help. He may be looking for trust, and the slow bonding of that "special person" and is still leery of his surroundings. My CAG did the same exact behavior at bedtime, so I tried cutting some holes in a white sheet, so he had peep holes, and put in a couple night lights in the bird room, just to put him at ease. Worked like a charm, I do have to talk to him softly, and get him to get to his swing perch for bed (similar to target training), but none the less, he now is calm and very happy to hit the hay!

I was given a tip from a friend to read a book "The Parrot Problem Solver" and DVD's by the same author Barbra Heidenreich... http://www.goodbirdinc.com and I have to tell you the training tips, have not only changed my view on training, but are already working like a charm! Maybe something to try.

take a deep breath, we all have those days where we just need a little time out.

Good Luck, and please keep us posted on the progress!!

I can understand your frustration! I am dealing with a territorial "drama queen" as well. From what it sounds like to me, is you are getting some sort of a fear response. Something in the equation has changed, and considering you have had him a short time, as my some of my fellow forumers here have said, there is always the initial honeymoon phase. There may have been some underlying issues with him before you got him, and he is now confortable to "show his true colors". Now this isn't a reason to give up, just a few strategies could help. He may be looking for trust, and the slow bonding of that "special person" and is still leery of his surroundings. My CAG did the same exact behavior at bedtime, so I tried cutting some holes in a white sheet, so he had peep holes, and put in a couple night lights in the bird room, just to put him at ease. Worked like a charm, I do have to talk to him softly, and get him to get to his swing perch for bed (similar to target training), but none the less, he now is calm and very happy to hit the hay!

I was given a tip from a friend to read a book "The Parrot Problem Solver" and DVD's by the same author Barbra Heidenreich... http://www.goodbirdinc.com and I have to tell you the training tips, have not only changed my view on training, but are already working like a charm! Maybe something to try.

take a deep breath, we all have those days where we just need a little time out.

Good Luck, and please keep us posted on the progress!!

Hi Bran, I am referring to my CAG who is 2 and that I have had since 3 months.

Good advice. I think I have that book. If not will check it out.

Thanks