NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What is deadly for parrots?

Popsicle

Hi all,

I've read here a thread about Teflon and I'm aware that the fume produced by Teflon pans when heated empty is totally deadly for birds. I'm also aware that scented candles and air freshener are bad. Sorry if there are other threads talking about all this already. But I have a few doubts and I'd like help.

1. Are non scented candles as bad or can they be used normally?

2. How about perfume and deodorant? Can we put it on as long as we make sure the parrots are not nearby? Or no? If not, what do you suggest?

3. Also read "self cleaning" ovens are poisonous. How do I differ a self cleaning oven to a normal one? Sorry about the ignorance. lol But can someone please explain?

Any other things I should avoid?

Thanks.

Edited by Popsicle

With candles, there are issues related to lead in wicks, as well as scents and materials used in the wax. At http://www.avitec.com they sell a line of bird safe candles that are made from pure beeswax with 100% cotton wicks. I use these, if I want to burn a candle. Beeswax just naturally has a pleasant scent. But even then, I don't do it with the bird in the room.

I don't think deodorant is a big problem, as long as you're not spraying it in the bird's presence. I use an unscented gel-type that rubs on. I use unscented versions of as many products as I can. I don't wear perfume around the house. But I do occasionally apply a little dab of a roll-on cologne on my wrists when going out. This can easily be washed off.

This site has some good safety tips:

http://www.plannedparrothood.com/birdtips/birdtips.html

What about self cleaning ovens? Nowadays most are. The one in my apartment is. :( And I'm still renting which means I can't easily choose what type of oven I will have. Are they 100% lethal? In what conditions are they damaging for the bird's health? Please someone explain a bit more. Thx.

Edited by Popsicle

What about self cleaning ovens? Nowadays most are. The one in my apartment is. :( And I'm still renting which means I can't easily choose what type of oven I will have. Are they 100% lethal? In what conditions are they damaging for the bird's health? Please someone explain a bit more. Thx.

All self cleaning ovens can be cleaned by hand. Many people who have self cleaning ovens aren't impressed with the feature so they use the guaranteed method---by hand

Hi all,

I've read here a thread about Teflon and I'm aware that the fume produced by Teflon pans when heated empty is totally deadly for birds. I'm also aware that scented candles and air freshener are bad. Sorry if there are other threads talking about all this already. But I have a few doubts and I'd like help.

1. Are non scented candles as bad or can they be used normally?

2. How about perfume and deodorant? Can we put it on as long as we make sure the parrots are not nearby? Or no? If not, what do you suggest?

3. Also read "self cleaning" ovens are poisonous. How do I differ a self cleaning oven to a normal one? Sorry about the ignorance. lol But can someone please explain?

Any other things I should avoid?

Thanks.

Scented and unscented oil candles are a no no. It's not the smell that's dangerous. It's the chemicals that are used to actually make the candle

Can you use those candles?

Yes, as long as you're very far away from birds in another enclosed room with a door on it and you have an adequate exhaust machine that will take in the fumes.

Perfume is fine as long as you don't insist that your bird smell it closely and often. Perfume disapates quickly only leaving the scent on the skin.

Deodorants can be used, including spray or rollons and aren't harmful unless you make your bird smell your arm pits closeup for a long period of time. The average person applies deodorant in the bathroom. The average person who doesn't use deodorant has a better chance of making other people displeased. A biird really doesn't care.

Edited by Dave007

Sorry about my ignorance again... but I'm confused. What's the problem with self cleaning ovens? Isn't it the simple fact of using it to bake food, heat a pizza, etc? Or it it cleaning the oven? I read a few comments and understood that they are bad because they are coated with PTFE, just like teflon pans. Can you explain a little bit more, please? I'm not familiar with the problem.

Edited by Popsicle

Sorry about my ignorance again... but I'm confused. What's the problem with self cleaning ovens? Isn't it the simple fact of using it to bake food, heat a pizza, etc? Or it it cleaning the oven? I read a few comments and understood that they are bad because they are coated with PTFE, just like teflon pans. Can you explain a little bit more, please? I'm not familiar with the problem.

All self cleaning ovens emit gasious chemicals that are used by the oven to clean it out. the oven is heated to a high temperature and the chemicals proceed to clean off the grease in the oven. Even people find that self cleaning odors are hard to handle.

****Isn't it the simple fact of using it to bake food, heat a pizza, etc?****

I'm referring to the cleaning mechanics. The oven cleaning process doesn't kick in while a person cooks. A button must be used after cooking to start the cleaning process and no food is present in the oven. There's separate elements in a self cleaning oven. One applies to cooking and the other applies to cleaning. 2 different operations.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks for the explanation, Dave. Feeling more relieved. My oven doesn't have any special button to press to "self clean" it. So I'm not sure whether it's a self cleaning oven or not. But I only clean it by hand anyway so it's fine. But I read on a website that birds have died when they are used even for regular baking. Anyone here has self cleaning ovens and have not had any problems with baking food at normal temperatures?

Thanks for the explanation, Dave. Feeling more relieved. My oven doesn't have any special button to press to "self clean" it. So I'm not sure whether it's a self cleaning oven or not. But I only clean it by hand anyway so it's fine. But I read on a website that birds have died when they are used even for regular baking. Anyone here has self cleaning ovens and have not had any problems with baking food at normal temperatures?

I can guarantee you that if you have no button, switch or lever to turn on a self cleaning oven, then you don't have a self cleaning oven. Coioking features and cleaning features are 2 separate functions.

We've had self cleaning ovens for years and I can tell that the self cleaning odor is horrible. The terrrible smell takes it's time to go away. We haven't used that feature for years.

If my grandmother was alive, she'd throw the whole stove away.

The oven in our house has a "clean" button, so I guess it does have a self-cleaning feature. I think it's original with the house, so it's probably 12-13 years old. I never use the cleaning feature. We've been living here with our birds for a couple of years and have used the oven for normal cooking with no problems.

I have a "self-cleaning button" on my oven and I just clean my oven on a sunny day and put my parrots outside in their travel cages for the morning. I open the door and windows to air the place out when the oven shuts off. I also have an exhaust fan in my hall and I turn that on while the oven is cleaning. Frankly, I have only cleaned the oven once since I have had my parrots. I usually just check the oven after baking and clean up any light spills when they happen. No problems then.