NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bleeding TAG

DinoUndies

I wanted to ask this question before it happened, and before I even got my TAG. When my TAG is bleeding - which I know is an emergency - I will have to bing him to the vet ASAP. However, the only one in this household that right now can ride is off for work from seven 'til six, sometimes even longer. We have a chauffeur, but with a chauffeur as soon as possible is usually not soon enough. I am doing the whole driver's test thingy but will probably not have a car before my TAG gets home.

When and if mu TAG bleeds, what can I do before I get to my vet? Ex. wrap a towel around the wounded part of the body. Thanks in advance for all answers.

I keep some styptic powder on hand that my vet gave me. The most common bleeding problem you might have with your bird would be from a blood feather or an injured talon. A blood feather is a newly emerging feather that still has a blood supply. The blood feather can become injured and start bleeding. Sometimes it will stop bleeding on its own. You can try applying some styptic powder or flour to try to stop the bleeding. If it continues to bleed seriously, the emergency treatment is the pull the feather out.

DO NOT USE HUMAN STYPTIC POWDER, as I have read it is toxic to birds. I use a special powder I got from the vet.

Edited by Birdnut

I have seen the vet apply some sort of a liquid using a small brush to my greys wound. It was some sort of a sealant liquid that seals the wound. I wonder where we could get this from, as it sealed the wound and the bleeding stopped immediately.

No its not really common. Ive had Kookie since almost 4 years now and I only saw a minor bleeding when the vet pricked his talon for for a blood drop to do blood anaylsis. That was the time I saw the vet use the sealant... but you never know, hopefully we will never see our grey bleeding... :)

I don't think it happens very often. The only time I've seen it is with my CAG when he was molting and chewed a little at a new blood feather. In this case, the bleeding stopped on its own. However, on rare occasions, a blood feather can occur with catastrophic results.

This is a good article on dealing with blood feathers:

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/bloodfeathers.php

We've had Marcus a number of months now and the only time he's ever bled was during those strange couple of days where he kept banging his head inside his cage, being startled by things. (I guess it was a 'spooky phase' for him.) Anyway, he gave himself a couple of nice gashes between his nares and on his forehead. They weren't horrible, gushing things, so I just put some organic aloe vera juice in a spray bottle and spritzed him all over his head to help clean them out a little, and put some organic apple cider vinegar in his water, and within a handful of days (after he stopped reopening them) you couldn't even tell he'd hurt himself.

Ground cinnamon and cayenne powder also coagulate blood and can be used in an emergency situation, the cayenne also regulated blood pressure equalizing between the wound and the rest of the body. In an emergency you keep the warm and you must remain calm-wonderful idea to research before the emergency, good work! The liquid sealant is a medical form of super glue developed on the battle field.