NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cleaning Solvents

DinoUndies

Any or all listed, in varing degrees, depending on the chemicals. Household products that the bird can inhale can be bad for them (truth be told they may not be all that great for us, either). Also those that don't thoroughly rinse off whatever surface a bird may come into contact with. They may be absorb thru skin contact or by mouthing the surface.

Most of us seem to use Dawn dish washing detergent for cups & plastic toys. It does a good job & would appear to rinse squeaky clean.

Most people are focused on what to clean the cage with because the bird is obviously in the most contact with it. Cages can be cleaned regularly with vinegar & water & occasionally steam cleaned. Honestly, I don't find I need anything else.

I have read that vinegar & hydrogen peroxide are a serious disinfectant combo. But that will produce fumes in the short term, so the bird shouldn't be around it until it's been well rinsed.

Bleach & water can be easily rinsed from hard surfaces, is very effective. But it does have toxic fumes that linger, short term. :P

Aside from the smell, vinegar is actually a good all around cleaner for daily use. I clean the fridge with it, pour some in the toilet bowl & use it for many hard surface clean ups.

Baking soda, whitening toothpaste or salt can sometimes be used in place of say, Comet.

Baking soda & vinegar can be good for slow drains, before they clog.

Some say people recommend Simple Green.

Salt & citrus juice (lemon or lime) are a great rust remover.

These are some of the things that may take a little more elbow grease & may not smell as nice but are safer for the fids & may be the parronts, too! Hope it helps.

I saw what we use to clean the house and it actually says in the warning that inhaling it can be harmful over a long period of time. We'll have to throw that away.

I'll tell my maid to use Simple Green from now on ^^

I was gonna ask if the soap for laundry was also bad, but since Simple Green is for 'every surface', including laundry, it really doesn't matter anymore ._. Even if the soap wasn't bad, better safe than sorry ^^

lol Slow, deep breaths!

"Better living through chemistry" is a great concept until you actually start reading the labels, yeah?

The good news is you don't have to live like a caveman to be bird or people safe. You can still even use laundry detergent (no phosphates, please!). Just try to understand what you're putting into yours & you fid's environment & be aware of the really harmful things.