NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Finally got my Grey !

Hi guys!

Today the guy at the pet shop called me and told me that he now has 4 CAGs and if I go today than I could have my pick. Out of the four CAGs I chose the one that wasn't screaming at the top of it's lungs when I approached it. I now have him in my room but he's being really wierd:

He's growling at me when I get too close(which is understandable) and he sounds like a dog:confused:

I'm still trying to decide if my CAG is a male or a female, but for now I'm calling him Miko (unisex name)

However, my older sister insists on naming him Pixie (which is NOT going to happen).I'll post some pictures later as he's still settling in and I don't want to make him even more scared of me.

How long should I wait before starting to tame him?

BTW, his iris is a of a white-ish yellow color, but the salesman told me he was 1.5 years old

Regards

Joe

Edited by Joe Bachi

I would growl at you too if I was that grey, you are too close so back off some and let him settle into his new home, give him time to become accustomed to the household, he has been put into a situation where he doesn't know you, he has a new cage and totally new to him surroundings so just be observant without getting too close. Allow him to come out of his cage on his own when he is ready and don't push him for more than he is willing to give for you have to earn a grey's trust and this will take time and patience on your part especially since he is an older bird and he sounds older than 1.5 years, more like several years maybe as many as five but once they get the yellowish eyes its hard to tell age.

Congrats

The growling and possibly some squaking is normal. The bird has just been taken from other birds in a flock. They feel secure in that situation. Now, you have him and the process now begins for him and you to get to know each other. He's also gotta get used to the new place, new visuals, new people, new cage etc. This takes time so don't force yourself on him. Wait for curiosity to kick in and take it real slow. Right now, he feels safest in his cage which he'll also have to get used to.

The color of the eye at that age should be white. The yellow tinge comes in at an older age but remember that the coloring can vary.

PS--Judy beat me to it.

Judy has given you some good advice, give him a chance to settle in to his new home and get to know you.

Sit by his cage and talk to him/her and offer treats when ever you go by his/her cage so it knows when you come around some thing good happens.

It will take time.