NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

If you could choose between a boy or girl CAG

GT_Jacket

Which one would you get and why?

The bad news from the breeder I'm getting my CAG from (Mid/late July):

"First of all there is a problem with your baby. He has done something to hurt a foot, vet says he's pulled something and will most likely be permanent damage. We are going to wait until he is a little older to decide if it can be repaired or not. Most likely he will end up losing 1 toe. I have wanted to keep some babies for future breeders, so I will most likely keep him for that and go ahead and pair him up while he's still young."

The good news from the breeder:

"I have 3 more babies right now that are not weaned yet. I think they should be ready in about 4 weeks, so I can probably ship it to you when you are ready. I'll have them DNA'd in another week or so. Since I have 3 of them to choose from, which sex is your preference?"

Thanks for your input -

Brett

We did not have a choise our baby grey picked us and she made her clame. I would never say one is better than the other (boy or girl)because I would be wrong.

We looked for a year for a african grey befor Corky picked us and we never looked back.

When I went to pick my grey, I had five to choose from. Ana Grey chose me. I thought she was female and so did her breeder. Turns out, we were right. Good guess???? Who knows. I would have been happy with either. I believe you should pick your parrot when you meet the one that likes you and that you like in return. Regardless of sex. Just my opinion.

We aren't sure if Sully is a boy or a girl, and I don't think we're going to checking into it. I don't think it really makes much of a difference, unless you have a specific name picked out :)

I know with some species of birds, girl birds are a little less friendly around mating time, but I'm not sure if that is always true :)

When I was getting my bird, I had a choice of 2. The breeder thought they where 1 male & 1 female. I was leaning toward the female when they were very young, but as they got a little older the other (male) picked me. When I say picked me, I mean he loved to hang with me when I visited & would have spent the whole day with me if I stayed! So we picked each other. :) By the way when they were dna'd the breeder was right on her sex guesses! Pretty good!

Unfortunately I could not find a breeder I liked close to us. I will be having my CAG flown in so I will not be able to spend any time with them prior –

The breeder currently has 3 being weaned. I think I will let them pick the one they feel is the “best” of the group regardless of its sex.

Thanks,

Brett

My wife and I wanted a grey after having cockatiels for many many many years and when ever we had a chance to see one we would stop and look at them at many pet stors and when I say many I mean 30 or more.We looked at greys for over a year and one day we stoped at a small pet stor that we delt with for years for our cockatiel food and toys and we got birds there befor. They had 4 or 5 baby cag at that time so we stoped to look. This one babybgrey looked at the wife run over up her arm to here shoulder and took a big poop.

We also left a deposit. At that time Corky was 9 weeks old.

lol what a way to pic your new mom and dad :) I always try to get a male , the laying eggs and egg binding thing scares me but sometimes I end up with females, I have 3 females for sure right now Rudy , Squiggy and Blueberry ,thank goodness Opey and Cody are boys , I'am going to dna test our new Sunconure this wednesday and I'am hopeing he is a boy , I did say hopeing lol and we for sure have a name for him/her we went with Echo wether she is a girl or a boy

I'am also looking to find someone to make me a new sig so allof my birds will be in it