NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My parrot comes around July 20th. I have a few questions...

kingsnake

Hello everyone... I'm a huge animal lover. My home is filled with 1 dog (Rottie), 2 tanks of saltwater fish (265Gallon Reef and a 150Gallon Fish only) and I also have a garage full of Non-venomous and Venomous snakes. Oh, and let me not forget my 3 sons... :-)

I've always found the African Grey to be pretty cool but never had the time to really spend with one. (That's why I love my snakes and fish, not so demanding and don't need my attention 24/7 lol. Just feed them and give them a clean cage and they are happy if you are home or not)

Anyway...

My close friend and neighbor got one a year and a half ago. I almost got one at the same time but held off. After watching and observing my friend and his bird I decided to make a commitment to an African Grey, my bird will be ready around July 20th 11.

I've looked for cages online, the only one I really like is this http://www.bird-supplies.net/macaw-mansion.htm however the Length (40) I wish was 36 to 38 and maybe the Width around (25 to 27) but I'm still looking... I like the Height inside and external. Is there any type of cages I should stay away from or does anyone know where I can find good quality cages at a good price. I'd like to stay around $700.00 ish or less (Give or take)

When I bring my new African home should I place him in the cage and let him be for a few days and just sit in the room watching TV ETC...? Should I let him come to me at first or should I make the first attempt?

I expect him or her to poop but read you can teach them not to poop on its owner, of course this was from a site that wanted me to buy this DVD on HOW TO.... I figured I would save a buck and just ask. Can they be trained to also not poop on furniture?

I guess for now, that is my only quick questions before this turns into a book or for people slamming me for not googling the answer :P (But of course, what is a forum for if you can't ask questions...)

Congrats on deciding to go ahead with your wish of adding a grey to your family and glad to hear you have given it much thought before you made that decision for this should be a forever home and greys live very long lives.

That cage is fine and you can go with a slightly smaller cage if space is limited, lots of us have the playtop cages so they have an area to entertain themselves when they are out of the cage. I would stay away from corner cages as they are limited to being placed in corners and that may not be where you would like it placed all the time and go with powder coated or stainless steel.

When you bring your grey home put him in the cage and let him get used to it, leave the door open and let him come out on his own, don't put your hand inside the cage to get him as some greys can become territorial about their cages and don't like hands invading their space. Talk to him and tell him what is going on and what you are doing and he will come out when he is ready, when the family is around and having a conversation he will eventually want to join in and let him decide when he is ready to interact with you.

A grey can be taught to poop in special places and some do not like to do it in their cages, this is something you can work on after you get him home but it will take a while and there will be accidents from time to time.

I agree with Judy :)

May I suggest that you hold off on training to "go potty" on command until you build a relationship with your grey. They are mor apt to learn tricks and commands when they trust and want to please you :)

Congrats on your new grey!! I know you'll love having one! Make sure you get lots of toys to keep him occupied during his first few days. Leaving him in his cage for a couple of days will assure he can get used to his surroundings and he will be less freaked out if he is given the chance to come out on his own, rather than being taken out :)

Good luck! Post pictures when you can! :)

I would like to start out with a welcome to the forum.

Take the time and let your new grey settle in after all this is just as new to him/her as it is to you. You will get all the help you need from the members on this forum to make your new adventure a happy and sucsesfull one. Your life just changed.

I read late last night about potty training. I'll go with the advice that I should look for signs that the bird is about to go rather than potty training to hold it. Also I am looking for play top cages...

I figured leaving them alone would be best but I also read where a chick said to take your parrot all around the house when it first gets home... So much info out there, not saying she is wrong but I guess it’s just up to the owner to do what he or she feels best in some cases as everyone has an opinion that's may be different than another.

Does anyone have an open top cage like this? 950005A.jpg

Do parrots like it? I might buy a playstand in the future but not straight away as the whole parrot + cage + toys + food will be expensive. I do want him to have some space to play in though. What should I do? The playtop cages I find are either too small or too big and too expensive. So I'm a bit tempted to go for the one in the photo. It's a good size and has good reviews everywhere I look. Are open top good enough?

Edited by Popsicle

I have that same cage for our Nanday. It's a great cage! The one he has is a little thinner though. He loves the open top because he can get out if he wants or just hang out up top. Our Grey doesn't have a play top- and he does just fine :) If you're grey is one that likes to sit a lot (which sully doesn't) This is a good cage for your grey. If he's more active, you may want to go with a play top.

Also, you could also put a playtop of your own on top of a dome-top or flat top cage :)

http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/Stainless_Steel_Bird_Cages/PA5738_SS

http://www.birdcagesgalore.com/bird_cages_Stainless_Steel/8003628SS.html

These are the 2 I am looking at now, IMO they are about the same but 1 is higher than the other 38' VS. 47' Inside H. and about $150.00 ish more for the 47'

I thought I would post and maybe get some advice just incase I over looked a key feature that I may want over the other. In my readings, CAG should have a min. of 40'H but 2 inch probably isn't going to kill them. The price isn't an issue, just would like some feedback please. Thanks

I went with this one, if anyone else needs a cage and likes this one I found a $15.00 Discount Code: WELCOME

http://www.birdcagesgalore.com/bird_cages_Stainless_Steel/8003628SS.html

P83628SS

Play Top Bird Cage in Stainless Steel

Dimensions: 36 " x 28" x 66"

Inside Height: 47 "

Bar Spacing: 1 "

■FREE SHIPPING

■FREE Toy

■Retail 2199.99

■$1539.99

Thanks, Scott