NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Floating lil white feathers......a pain in my neck!!!!!!!!!

Tommyr20

ok, so Picasso is doing great! the only thing I have a problem with are all the lil white feathers that seem to always be floating around in our living room, kitchen, and poker room! Even when I see them on the floor and try to sweep them away they start flying all over the place!!!!! How do you all normally take care of this issue???? Is there like a machine that I can buy and place right next to my cage that might help contain these lil feathers? Whats the best way to sweep them away and keep them from flying all over the place!!!! Can this be a health issue to our kids?? please share your thoughts! Thank you all for the input!

Greys are known to do that. It's very heavy during molting season but some greys do it constantly because their skin is on the dry side. If your bird is in a cage and you see lots of those feathers fall to the bottom, take a water mister and slightly spray that area where the feathers are in the tray. That'll make them slightly damp and they won't fly all over the place when your bird is flapping. Just pick up the bedding with the feathers on it and dump it.

****Even when I see them on the floor and try to sweep them away they start flying all over the place!!!!!****

The above applies to that too.

There are no machines that will suck in the feathers unless the machine is right next to the feathers. That's because the feathers are too heavy and won't float far to a machine that's not nearby.

You can spray your bird often and the damp feathers will fall down because they wet. During warm seasons, a grey must be sprayed often because of excess dead feathers and dry skin which causes the feathers to molt alot.

Basically, molting is a messy situation for all that own greys and many p[eople deal with it in different ways.

I have 3 fids and it is a job just to keep up with all the little feathers everywhere but it is something we bird lovers learn to put up with or learn how to deal with them, vacuuming them up seems to be the best way and one of those little handheld dustbusters comes in handy for just that.