NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Eyes

JDS5607

I have a question about Sully's eyes...

I notice sometimes that the pupils in his eyes get larger and smaller rather quickly, over and over again. I think I've seen it referred to as "pinning".

What causes this? It is a little creepy :)

Jill is right, humans have no control over the dilation of their eyes, it is strictly a response to the amount of light entering the eye, parrots on the other hand have control over the dilation of their eyes and you will see them rapidly changing in response to the way they feel at that particular time, pinning of the eyes is when they stay small and that is usually right before a bite is imminent.

My birds will pin their eyes when they get a taste of something especially yummy to eat. It's a sign of excitement or arousal.

You think greys eyes look creepy? You should see my blue crowned conures eyes when they pin. Their irises are bright orange, and when their eyes pin, it looks like they're flashing orange ... positively demonic looking! LOL!

I thought so :) Usually it happens when he is eating something new, or if he sees something sneaking up on him (other birds or the fat cat)

Pretty neat reaction!

@Birdnut- I can imagine that being creepy! lol Still pretty cool :) :)

Cleo pins when she is playing with a toy, eating, or when I am talking to her through the cage bars. During the later, she will also quiver her breast and belly feathers. Guess she is just an excitable little girl!