NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrots and shower

Popsicle

Grey's are extra dandery... I think they are second only to Cockatoos. Anyway, I try to give Sully a bath every other day, too. Any longer than that and he gets itchy and sneezy..

It also helps to keep down on the dander all over the house as well, so it's beneficial for both people and bird :)

Oh I see. But I did read that parrots like any other bird has protective oils all over the feathers and therefore shouldn't be showered too often. Otherwise they lose the oil. Has anyone heard from the vet to shower every other day? And for those who work mon-fri, all day? What's the solution? I don't think I should bathe the parrot at night, correct?

Birds will bathe when they want to. My lovebird Romeo bathes twice a day- atleast (in his water dish), but my other lovebird only bathes once or twice a week.

If I know I'll be out of the house all day, I'll put a shallow pie dish or casserole dish on the bottom of Sully's cage and he'll bathe in it if he wants to... if not, he makes soup :P

My Amazons used to have their bathing dish in their cages all the time for them to bathe whenever they wanted and they only did it roughly once a week. And that was in Brazil, which is a hot country all year around. But Amazons are different from Greys. Reason why I was asking. Different opinions and experiences are welcome. Thanks :)

My grey will take a bath in her water dish just about every day but they should be bathed or misted about 2 to 3 times a week, never use a blow dryer on them, allow them to dry naturally and bathe them early enough in the day so they do dry completely before they retire for the night.

Greys have a preen gland at the base of their tail that they distribute oil over the feathers, hence you will see water running off their backs but daily bathing will not wash that away.

Over the course of the last couple of days I have been perching Rose on the shower curtain rod while I take a shower. Today I put her on my shoulder when I was done and the water was still running and she jumped off my shoulder and on to the floor of the tub, I naturally thought it was because she was scared when the water hit her so I turned the water off and put her back on the rod. I was doing my nasal rinse a few minutes later with the sink faucet on and she was on my shoulder, she came off my shoulder and into the sink basin right under the water. I let the water run for about 15 seconds and she just sat there like that was what she wanted to I ran it on her and then turned it off. She seemed pretty happy afterwards so I am assuming that is what she wanted. The breeder had never tried to give her a bath so this was her first experience. I want to plan on getting a shower perch for her if this is what she enjoys. Do you all think this is a good idea?

I did let her dry naturally and not from a towel or blow dryer.

Oh I see. But I did read that parrots like any other bird has protective oils all over the feathers and therefore shouldn't be showered too often. Otherwise they lose the oil. Has anyone heard from the vet to shower every other day? And for those who work mon-fri, all day? What's the solution? I don't think I should bathe the parrot at night, correct?

There's absolutely no possible way that any type of water coming out from anywhere is gonna remove the oil from a grey's feathers. Dander/dust collects on the outer surface of the areas that are waterproof and that's why more bathing is better. The water removes the dander/dust.

Bathe during the day so the bird has some time to dry off. No hair driers, no towels. The bird needs to drip dry so the water has the proper effect on dry skin.

Edited by Dave007