NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Officially Murphy's first word!

reggieroo

Well I think it's safe to say Murphy said his first word yesterday "Alright" :D

He's been trying to say it for ages but couldn't quite understand it but yesterday I was sure that is what he said & today he has said it a number of times. We had some guests over today & he said it a few times & they didn't quite hear it but then they heard it once he said it a bit louder.

When your grey starts talking it hard to say when the first word was, because they practise for ages & you pretty much know before they say it clearly what they are trying to say, so I thought it was a fair assumption that when you understand it that is the first time.

How do other people judge their Grey's first or new word?

Edited by reggieroo

Yay!! Congratulations to you and Murphy both! I'm sure you're thrilled with this development! :)

How do other people judge their Grey's first or new word?

Honestly, when we adopted Marcus at eight years old less than a year ago, he was already pretty talky, but most of it was mumbly or just goofy noises and electronic bleeps. He doesn't "practice" words as far as I can tell--he'll just pop out with a phrase or a sentence for an appropriate situation that just leaves us a bit shocked for a while. So to answer your question, for me it's when he says something, and maybe the cadence isn't exactly spot-on like a human would produce in English (Marcus particularly has a tendency to draw out the last syllable of the last word in a sentence), but in my head somewhere faster than conscious thought I can push through his 'accent' and I'll find myself replying to him as appropriate. Like yesterday he told me it was hot, and I was immediately on my feet asking him if he wanted a shower. He's never said anything remotely like that before. But I just knew what he was asking, I don't know if my husband would have picked it up because it wasn't crystal-clear perfect, but I understood him anyway. Sometimes it's the other way around though, my hubby will understand Marcus better than me (and sometimes Marcus is just clear as a bell like one of us when we enunciate well--haha, maybe that means we sound mumbly to him most of the time, I don't know!). But since Marcus really doesn't practice words as far as we can tell, it's not like we really hear him building up to anything over the course of a few weeks or days, and sometimes we just have no idea what he's said because it's kind of garbly. :(

Phenix always mumbles a new word under his breath until he's ready to say it out loud. And he's not ready to debut new words until they're crystal clear. But I've always figured a new word counts as soon anyone could understand it.

So, Alright, Murphy!! Congratulations!! :cool: