NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dayo calibrating and using some new words

danmcq

Dayo chatting away early morning. He is practicing and calibrating new words and phrases. Namely, "see my shadow", "water the flowers" and "get the tiger". The tiger is a new stuffed animal I place near an alarm sensor mounted on the wall he will fly to and start chewing on. Shadow is a new concept to him and I have been working with him over the last two weeks on it. He is engrossed in it when he sees my shadow when I stand outside in the mid afternoon sun and wave to him. My wife was out in the yard watering flowers, so I took Dayo to watch her. As we watched, I explained she was watering the flowers and that they drink water like him, to keep it simple.

Edited by danmcq

Well, thats a rather hard question to answer. The reason I think it is a tough one, is it depends on how the grey was brought up and socialized. Dayo has been around a ton of people since he was born. The breeders, their children and Friends stopping by, along with us going and visiting the grey clutches multiple times a week give them all very early socialization from 6 weeks on.

The day we brought him home, several family members and friends stopped by at different timers that day and have continued to be in and out of our home constantly since then. I would say Dayo is right in the middle peronality wise for a grey having a similar upbringing.

A Grey that is not socialized or that has gone from home to home as a rescue, has a much greater chance of being introverted and fearful of people, places and things.

Dayo will fly straight to people when they come in if he knows them. Strangers may take him 20 minutes before he fly's over and says hi much to the newcomers surprise. Dayo is afraid of new toys and objects he has never seen before. He is also always on very high alert when we take him places, which I would think is normal for any grey. By alert, I do not mean screaming at everything, but I do notice he will draw close at times or perhaps have feathers shaking for a bit before relaxing.

He will not just sit and chat away while they are here. But, he will sit on one of us or a stand and listen, then sometimes make a comment or laugh at something said or done. If someone walks by with a food he adores, he will tell them he wants xxxx and perhaps fly after them if they don't give him a little. It has irritated a few people at times.:P

A Grey that is not socialized or that has gone from home to home as a rescue, has a much greater chance of being introverted and fearful of people, places and things.

That's understandable, too. There's a definite factor of trust that has to be created before they would want to communicate or interact with any human, given those circumstances...

Dayo will fly straight to people when they come in if he knows them. Strangers may take him 20 minutes before he fly's over and says hi much to the newcomers surprise. Dayo is afraid of new toys and objects he has never seen before. He is also always on very high alert when we take him places, which I would think is normal for any grey. By alert, I do not mean screaming at everything, but I do notice he will draw close at times or perhaps have feathers shaking for a bit before relaxing.

He will not just sit and chat away while they are here. But, he will sit on one of us or a stand and listen, then sometimes make a comment or laugh at something said or done. If someone walks by with a food he adores, he will tell them he wants xxxx and perhaps fly after them if they don't give him a little. It has irritated a few people at times.:P

Hehe, he sounds like such a personality! And he sounds very loved and he must feel so safe with all of you, it's wonderful... thanks for sharing a bit more about him, I'm looking forward to more stories of Dayo in the future. :)

Edited by MarcusCAG

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I have realized that you leave the room while you are recording, I can listen and realize it is Dayo speaking, not Dan. LOL. I just love the way he describes what he has seen and heard from you. I go back to your videos just to hear him again. He is quite a character. Thanks for putting his updates online for us.

Dayo is awesome. What a little character. Isaac still doesn't talk much...but today I came home and let him out and he flew to the microwave and said, "Hey boooyyee". I loved it. So it seems he knows how to talk a little but chooses to do it very conservatively. Way to go Dayo..he's a performer and a smartie.

Now that I have realized that you leave the room while you are recording, I can listen and realize it is Dayo speaking, not Dan. LOL. I just love the way he describes what he has seen and heard from you. I go back to your videos just to hear him again. He is quite a character. Thanks for putting his updates online for us.

Yes I leave the room and camera rolling. It's the only way I can hear what he is calibrating and the various ways he uses new words in various sentences as he experiments with sentences it works in.

He sometimes combines words of favorites and I still haven't figured out why, unless he wants both at the same time. Examples would be Chicken Meatloaf (HUH?) Ravioli Enchiladas etc. I may never figure it all out, but I hope to one day.