NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Parrot Problem Solver

bran

Just looked it up and it does have great reviews. Is it good only to help dealing with parrots that have behaviour problems? Or is it also good for someone like me, who's still going to get one and wants to learn how to deal with them properly?

Okay... I feel like I am going to write a book report for my Parrot 101 class, but I have to say, this changed my view on companion parrots, behaviours, and how to handle them.

Cover to Cover, I could not get enough! Now you must understand that I am not much of a reader, but this was intriguing to me, and I think that I actually broke my own personal record of reading a book.

You see I was raised on a farm, and we had the "show the animal who's boss" mentality, however I didnt always agree with that philosophy. I had seen some training methods that actually repulsed me, and I think that I decided a long time ago, that I wanted to break that cycle. So in getting my Timneh Dexter who was 12 when I got him, I was expecting this problematic handful. I escentially got this amazing little bird that had his own distinct personality, and to be honest, not alot of behavioral issues. Of course I thought that I had it mapped out. Well then enter my 9 year old Congo Cooper, he has territorial issues, agression for no reason (or so I thought), and just kind of crabby.

Enter Patricia Sund (author of Parrot Nation, and A Memo To Parker and Pepper in Bird Talk) who suggested to me that I read some books regarding postive reinforcement training, and just plain getting to the root of behaviors. This was one of the books on the list that she suggested, and I thought.... a-ha I am going to tackle my most important issue first, Coopers Agression.

The book explains the origins of where our companion parrots behaviors in the wild come from. A day in the life of what they must do in order to forage, preen, sleep, and basically stay alive. Then it goes into the facts of territorial agression, vs possesion agression, vs personal agression etc. You start to relate.... It's the part in the story where you start to relate, then the clouds open up and a ray of sunshine slaps you right in the forehead. There are re-training methods to help people like me, pay attention to the body language of our fids, and allow them to participate in decisions. I think the coolest thing that I learned is a parrot should "want" to interact with you, and not feel like they "have" to. We have free-willed spirits just like they do, and submission is not allowing them to choose, and lead the enriched lives that we so diligently struggle to let them have.

The Parrot Problem Solver has challenged me to relearn my relationship with my birds. It's not about having them be obedient, and step up, just because I say so. It's about making evey experience with them, a positive one, and them yearning for a relationship from me, just as much as I want one with them. It's about a true bond, that will last a lifetime.

So in short, I will say, if you are thinking about getting a parrot, get this book. If you own a parrot, get this book. If you are an expert at parrots, and want something to just whisper in your ear, maybe something to challenge or reinforce what you know, get this book.

Get this book!

Great book review! A+. I'm a big fan of Barbara H. Check out her website at Goodbirdinc.com. Watching her interact with her parrots is amazing. Her informative books and videos taught me to respect my CAG-friend, Katie, and we have a much better relationship. My lack of knowledge caused Katie to bite when asked to step up. Barbara showed me how to reward her step ups, and to respect and distract her when I want her to step up and she doesn't want to do so.

This is one of my favorite books, and has been since....well, I think I bought the first edition, when it first came out!

In addition to that book, I highly recommend

Clicker Training for Birds by Melinda Johnson

I feel that the two books go very well together. They are both about positive interaction with your bird and how to use that to train your parrot out of bad behaviors/into good ones, all while your parrot is training you. xD Eshe loved teaching me to give her an almond every time she touched a chopstick with her beak or foot!!! Even if you have no intention at all of clicker training, this book is all about the psychology of positive reinforcement, and how, and why it works. It is very heavy on target training and using a click to mark the end of a desired behavior along with a treat, but it would be easy to replace the target with say, a finger, and the click with a consistently stated "good".

Anyway, yeah. xD These are the two books I come back to time and again, along with Mattie Sue Athan's much more basic "Guide to a Well Behaved Parrot" for my husband, or a loaner to someone without a whole lot of bird experience.