NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just got 6 1/2 weeks old congo African Grey

Hello . I just bought 6 weeks old African Grey .I know a lot about those birds and how to hand feed them. But i have questions. After i fed her she always screams and ask for more but i sure that i give exactly what she supposed to get.If anybody talks to here or wants to just take on hands she screams and thinking that its time to eat and always trying to look for food in hand or anywhere.Is there a way to let the her know that sometimes i just to want to play with her or just hold her on hands or anything. Because i feel bad if im talking her or just being in same room makes her think that i gonna feed her . and this makes me leave.

Thank you in advance

A 6 week old baby grey should not be eating any weaning foods yet, instead it should be getting fed at least 4 times a day and handling is not going to be what he/she is interested in. They are going to see you as bringing food all the time and that's what they look for at this age. This bird is too young to be in the hands of an inexperienced hand feeder. I know you said you "know a lot about those birds" but apparently you do not. I would suggest you contact the breeder you purchased the bird from and let them continue to hand feed the bird until it is weaned from formula. The dangers you present are more numerous to name.

Hello . I just bought 6 weeks old African Grey .I know a lot about those birds and how to hand feed them. But i have questions. After i fed her she always screams and ask for more but i sure that i give exactly what she supposed to get.If anybody talks to here or wants to just take on hands she screams and thinking that its time to eat and always trying to look for food in hand or anywhere.Is there a way to let the her know that sometimes i just to want to play with her or just hold her on hands or anything. Because i feel bad if im talking her or just being in same room makes her think that i gonna feed her . and this makes me leave.

Thank you in advance

Weaning foods are never used on chicks that young. The bird needs formula, plenty of it and very often--at least 4 times a day. Screaming is a definite sign that the chick is not getting enough formula. When the bird is finished eating, there should be a large bulge in the upper chest area. A chick who's been fed the proper amount at each feeding normally goes to sleep for about 2/3 hrs.

****After i fed her she always screams and ask for more but i sure that i give exactly what she supposed to get.If anybody talks to here or wants to just take on hands she screams and thinking that its time to eat and always trying to look for food in hand or anywhere****

Well, obviously you're not giving the proper amount of food and the bird is telling you that.

Playing----greys that young aren't interested in playing, just eating, picking at some things and sleeping.

You also may be making it too thin. Try to thicken it a little if it seems that your grey isn't filling up. I believe at 6 weeks it should be about the consistancy of thick applesauce. Am I correct Dave?

Just about.

Better description----thick pea soup ( pureed)

• 4 weeks later...