NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Worried...Trying to get Lollie into vet

Tagtastic

I have noticed yesterday and today occasional(like 3 times for less than a minute in the last 24 hours not including the flight) tail pumping, occasional sneezing, head-shaking and maybe a slight decrease in activity/talking/eating. She doesn't seem as "active" this morning although right now she is eating. Her poops seems totally normal. I have not noticed any discharge or anything from mouth or nose. I started noticing yesterday when she flew off her cage quite a distance and ran on the floor, when I picked her up she was breathing heavily and did some tail pumping...I just figured it was because she rarely flies. All the changes are just very subtle! Am I just freaking myself out? Am I just being too paranoid? As I am typing this she is now done eating and playing/looking out the window and seems fine. The only thing that has changed is we moved to a new house 2 weeks ago but I have kept her schedule etc the same. I have called the vet but they will have to call me back after they speak to the vet because she is "all booked" today. Anyone have any advice in the meantime.

Respiratory problems are a real concern for greys, I would give the vet another call or find another one for it should not be treated lightly in my opinion, of course no one here is a vet but I know that tail pumping when breathing is not good at all. Birds especially greys have very sensitive respiratory systems so you have a reason to be concerned, keep us informed.

I'm with Judy about consulting with a vet.

Since you've recently moved, I would also be doing some sleuthing around the new home for anything that might be causing respiratory issues: mold, carpet treatments, etc. If it's a new, new house, could there be some fumes still around from construction material, glues, paints, etc.?

Dayo will breath heavy if he goes from zero activity to a flight to get to one of us in another room. It is normal like a person jumping up and running full speed, they become winded as the body starts kicking into a higher level of activity. Once he is "Active Mode" he can fly through house none stop for 20 minutes and not be winded.

Occasional sneezing is normal as well as the occasional head shake dust/loose feather off.

Checking on the items birdnut mentioned is certainly important things to check out.

Looking forward to hearing an update.

Just got back from the vet. Lollie is fine! They kept her a few hours to watch her. She was alert/active while she was there and no breathing problems. The vet felt like what I was seeing was related to exertion since it was so short lived. They did a full check of her from nares to vent and found nothing wrong other than she did have an enlarged preening gland but since the vet could express oil it is just something she felt was safe to watch and if it begins to bother her, bring her back. She gave me specific instructions on things to watch for. So I guess Lollie just got her first vet check up =) She gave me a lot of information on keeping an intelligent bird happy with foraging and other activity. She did suggest I change her from Zupreem Fruity to a natural kind with no dyes. She also told me she does not like nutriberries because they do not use human grade seed so she feels there is a potential risk and suggested Harrison's Power Treats. All in all it was a great visit and I am relieved. The vet was very nice and knowledgeable and handled Lollie well. She is also a bird owner.

We moved into an older house. I have inspected it for mold and other things. I do not think there are any fumes from the new carpet as it was installed 4 months ago when it first became empty and it was painted then too. Her head shaking and sneezing are normal, they saw her do it...I have been sneezing a lot lately so it could possibly be allergen related. I think I will get a hepa filter(can anyone suggest any?)

PS...since we've gotten home Lollie is being her normal self, eating/playing/talking while I type this!

I guess I am just an alert yet paranoid bird owner haha!! Thanks for being here for me.