NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What is a Timneh considered?

Tagtastic

A TAG is considered a small medium sized bird. A CAG is considered a medium sized bird.

There's a smaller TAG cage and a larger CAG cage. Getting the bigger is better though whether it's for a CAG or TAG.

The big difference concerning size is when buying a Flight Aviator. A TAG needs the smaller size. The CAG size is too big. There's pictures of the birds that the Aviator fits.

I saw an african grey congo the other day that I SWORE was bigger than a B&G Macaw (minus the tail)... crazy!

We went to a pet store the other week and they had a Quaker parrot that was at least twice the size of our Beaker, and yes I think he was fat but he was just generally bigger as well... so I guess both ends of the spectrum for the different parrot species can be pretty far from each other, sometimes.

I would say the toys for medium sized birds are perfect for a TAG. I think some of the toys designed for a macaw or large cockatoo might be a little intimidating to a smaller TAG. Of course some of my birds' favorite toys are not bird toys at all- for instance, they love to chew on plastic drinking straws. One of my timnehs just spent three nights in a row completely disassembling a rubber duckie. It is no longer recognizable as a duck!

I agree with Dave, the largest cage possible for a tag or cag. My tag does NOT like large bird size toys, she won't touch them. She prefers "small, parakeet size toys", but she doesn't get them, she destroys them way too fast. I give her small parrot toys.., she settles for them..:)

Hi everyone...

I saw this forum is about TAG and decided to ask some things. Sorry my questions have nothing to do with the original post but I'm inclined to buy a Timneh and need to learn more about them. I would like to know from those who have a TAG:

1. What are the good things (and bad things) about them?

2. Are they noisy or quiet?

3. Do they speak well?

4. Are they sweet and friendly?

5. Do they get along with only one person in the house or the whole family?

Thanks a lot. :)

Edited by Popsicle

Hi everyone...

I saw this forum is about TAG and decided to ask some things. Sorry my questions have nothing to do with the original post but I'm inclined to buy a Timneh and need to learn more about them. I would like to know from those who have a TAG:

1. What are the good things (and bad things) about them?

2. Are they noisy or quiet?

3. Do they speak well?

4. Are they sweet and friendly?

5. Do they get along with only one person in the house or the whole family?

Thanks a lot. :)

I have a TAG on deposit and have been visiting her several times a week until she can come home. While she is not very cuddly she is very smart and friendly. She tries to mimic whatever I say to her at 7 weeks and even can say Step Up barely.

I have to say, I've never handled an adult CAG or TAG, but in the babies I've encountered at the bird store the main difference seems to be that the TAG's mostly seem to develop a little faster than the CAG's. This changes from bird to bird though I'm sure. I've heard TAG's are more laid back and social, but I've heard people say otherwise as well. I would recommend visiting with both kinds and just find one in particular that you bond with whether it be TAG or CAG.

Good Luck!

You are going to see a wide range of sizes in most all species of birds as their frames vary by individual and I have seen small birds play with toys meant for large birds and vice versa but the cage size for both Cags and Tags should be about the same size as stated by Dave, when the wings are spread wide its not as much difference between the two and they both need room to open them up.