NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Afraid of the dark or shadows?

JDS5607

Last night, my husband and I were "shutting down" the living room (turning off all the lights, TV, saying goodnight to all the birds, covering them, etc.) When we turned off the last light, Sully started this loud, almost growl... My husband was standing about two feet from Sully's cage at the time, and Sully started screaming (like a person!) We turned the light above his cage on and he came to the door and I let him out. His heartbeat wasn't fast, but he wanted to stay on top of his cage, and when my husband reached for him, Sully lunged at him. He's NEVER done that before... and when I told my husband he was freaked out and just to let me get him, he said "I'll get him" and sully bit my husband.. Ever so lightly, but still, it was different than his normal "beaking". Yet, he came right to me and had no problem whatsoever... Wondering if anyone knows what's up? And how can I prevent this in the future?

They can't see in the dark any better than we can. Sometimes when my birds are being stubborn and wont go to bed, I have to turn all the lights in the house off, then they have a hard time finding my hand to step up on even tho it's not pitch black, so I can get them in their cage. They do not like the dark, so what you experienced is normal behavior when they lose that ability and fear kicks in. I keep a night light on for one of my birds cause she has night terrors with out it.

Was Sully's cage covered at the time? I was thinking if not, maybe something about the position where your husband was standing, or what he was wearing, or some movement he made looked scary to Sully in the dim light, perhaps backlit with light from another room? I think a night light in the birds' area is a good idea.

Sully may have saw something that you didn't see and it caused him to freak out a little hence the reaction, as some here do you can keep a night light on nearby his cage so he has a little bit of light to see if he gets hungry or thirsty during the night, probably scared you more than it did Sully.

Whatever originally startled Sully, it sounds like he associated it with your husband. I haven't had that same kind of fright with Gilbert, but he has startled and he has bitten me and moments later whatever it was had passed and he is once again sweet. Hopefully it will just pass and he will be back to his adorable self. Just for tonight while it is still fresh on Sully's mind, maybe you could change up the routine so your husband doesn't get put in the middle of a second scare or reinforce Sully's association of dad and the shadow or whatever it was. Hopefully it is already forgotten and water under the bridge for you all.

:)

He used to have a nightlight, but he's been sleeping without it for about 5 months now. He wasn't sleeping at night (often waking up to play at 2 am.), so we took it out. He's been fine without it... I think?

Usually, we have him covered but the cover was being washed last night, so that could have been it.

I am wondering if my husbands position scared him- he had a blanket in his arm, so Sully could have been startled by the unfamiliar object.

Thanks for the input, everyone! :)