NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Curbing the bites of a Senegal

Guest SkuTheSnake

Guest SkuTheSnake

I have an 8 year old Senegal, who until age 2 (puberty) was putty in my hands, but now he is a bit of a terror.

I understand that it is NOT typical for a parrot (other species) to bite often, and certainly not in the manner that mine does: He clamps down and won't let go until blood is drawn.

There is no rhyme or reason for it most of the time.

I'm able to identify when he wants to be sweet and when he should be avoided, but I get "fooled" all the time, as he can switch tones instantly and for no apparent reason.

He seems to be most mellow late at night and that's when I handle him most, these days.

People have told me that Senegals are the nippiest of all parrots, and also that certain other species like Cockatoos rarely, if ever, bite, and even then, it's just a little quick nip that can be corrected. My

Senegal bites in as extreme a manner as possible, and the way their beaks are shaped and as strong as their bite is, it's very difficult to "ignore" it.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I might improve my relationship with my Senegal?

Guest philbob10

Ah well, that's a senegal for you. Notoriously nippy. Don't any of your senegal books mention it?

None that *you* can understand you mean. Could be hormones, or simply lack of any training.

I don't believe in 'ignoring' it. If I get a hard nip, I tell the bird it is bad and put it back in the cage.

Yup, read up on behaviours and how to train your bird.

'Guide to a well behaved parrot' 'My parrot my friend' 'Guide to companion parrot behaviour'

Guest philbob10

had not read myself and evaluated. I own copies of the books I recommend and have found them to be extremely useful for not just changing behaviours as I am rather apt to accept behaviours, but simply to understand what makes them tick.Not only do I recommend the books, but I also give one of them away with any baby birds I breed, along with the usual care sheet, diet advice and bag of food.

Guest philbob10

Because not only are they well written and easy to read, they are always to hand. Whereas the PC isn't always turned on is it?

No thanks, I have enough to do in a day, and why cover what has already been done so well?

Because someone might post with a question, and then get all kinds if advice, including much wrong advice. Whereas the books I recommend are good, sensible and do-able, with no troll tearing out pages of vital info and inserting their own misinformation.

Time out is one option, however moodiness might be a symptom of something else. If the only problems in birds were moodiness I wuld be a happy person, . The books cover not only how to fix a problem, but go into why the problem may be occurring.

I don't know why you are so dead set against the books I and others recommend, but until you have read them I don't see how you can be the judge.