NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Grey advice needed - Please help!

Popsicle

Another thing... do your parrots scream when they wake up? Or they behave well until you get up and go talk to them? Do any of you manage to sleep in a bit on the weekends? lol My amazons would wake everyone up at 6:30-7am. They would scream and scream until someone went there to see them and give them food, then would be quiet again for a while. But I think it was a bad habit encouraged by us. How do your Greys behave early in the morning?

My greys will talk and whistle until I get them up. My amazon NEVER screams, she is very quiet. In fact, if she does talk, which she will, she talks very quietly. I do cover my cages at night, sometimes I'm not able to get them up until 9:30 in the am, they are fine with that. They know as soon as they are uncovered, they will get out and have breakfast with me.

My birds are quiet until I uncover them, my hubby is the first one to get up in the mornings and he leaves them alone and they stay quiet, sometimes on the weekend when I sleep in a little longer he will uncover them for me but they never scream in the mornings, they are just waiting for their food.

They would scream and scream until someone went there to see them and give them food, then would be quiet again for a while. But I think it was a bad habit encouraged by us.

You answered your own question on that one, just like human children if you give into their demands then they will continue bad behavior.

My grey Moussa begins to be active as soon as the sun rises. He begins by talking quietly to himself for a while. Then after a while, he begins to call out to the birds in the other room, who answer him, and then it's over for any sleep! We do have 8 parrots of various types, and we do have several conures, which are rather noisy birds. I imagine the presence of the other birds affects how much noise Moussa makes. I would say that he's not a noisy bird, except when he starts imitating the conures.

In general, in living with parrots, I find that unless you're a very heavy sleeper, you're not going to sleep much past sunrise. So I can sleep later in winter than in summer. This is another consideration to keep in mind in the question about parrots and babies. With a new baby, you're going to be up during the night. This getting up during the night can last anywhere from a month to many months. A parrot is not going to be considerate about this when that morning sun hits the window next to his cage!

I found Bobbi Brinker's book For the Love of Greys very informative except for the fact that she is a big advocate for wing clipping which I am not. :)

And Kito is also relatively quiet and makes happy sounds in her sleeping cage until I get up.

My grey and zon are both pretty quiet and I am a late sleeper as I am retired and live alone so I do as I please. Sometimes Ana Grey will talk but usually quietly. My zon is quiet in the AM. I do see that they have dried vegetables in their cages at night so if they need a snack, they have one.