NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Banded VS Unbanded

Vumes

So I just adopted a 9 year old CAG, and she came with a hatching certificate with numbers, dates, DNA sex, etc. The problem is, that Annie is not banded. I know there is no 100% proof positive way of knowing that the certificate belongs to her, but why wouldn't she be banded?

2011-06-04 14.18.22.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it, I chose not to have my grey banded as some have had problems with them irritating their leg or even getting it caught on something and causing harm so I chose not to band. I do have the band and the certificate, I doubt there will ever be a problem unless you want to take the bird out of the country, birds were banded years ago to prove they were not wild caught.

Neither of my greys are banded. Cosmo's breeder didn't band him and Mojo's fell off. Paco the macaw is the only banded bird in our house and we are considering taking him in to have it removed. Poor guy chews at it several times per day :(

Well, I have to chirp in here as well. 2 of my 3 birds were banded. I had them removed by my vet as I have read many horror stories about them getting caught on something and some chewing their foot of when it gets caught, etc. My vet highly recommended it as well when I asked him his opinion. BUT, something to think about.........there has been a Congo AG found near where I live. It is banded and the person caring for it WON'T let it go unless the owner can identify it thru it's band. What would happen IF this bird had no band? Makes me wonder if god forbid one of my flighted birds got out and was lucky enough to be rescued, WOULD I ever get them back?????

I read my local state law recently, and I think it said that African Grey's HAD to be banded in order to be kept as pets. Let me double check...

§174.9 Identification of Birds

(a) All captive bred birds subject to the provisions of this Part must be marked with (1) a seamless leg band, or (2) a butt-end leg band applied by a bird breeder licensed pursuant to174.4 of this Part, when the bird is offered for sale or sold except as otherwise permitted pursuant to sections 174.3 and 174.4 of this Part. Such butt-end leg bands must be visibly marked with the breeder's identifying number.

(b) In the event that a band is removed for medical reasons a veterinarian licensed in the State of New York will either apply his or her own band with his or her identifying number or apply the band of a licensed bird breeder or not band the bird. If the owner of the bird wishes to sell this bird, it must be banded as noted above and he or she must notify the department within 10 days of replacement of the band, of the date of replacement, name and address of the attending veterinarian, the reason why the band was removed and the identifying number on the replacement band.

RE: http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/3939.html

My 'tiel is one of the exception birds on the webpage that doesn't need to be banded. I had always just expected it for when I get my Grey.

Edited by Eshana

Java came into our home at four months of age, banded. On her first vet visit, the vet said it would be better for her to remove it due to some irritation on her leg. This vet had never met me before, so I could obstenibly have had a stolen bird, and had its band removed easily enough. I was incredulous that the band is not required by state law and gave the vet credit for knowing the law since she went to school in our state and had worked here for three decades. Seriously though, if it is that easy to take off a band, how much security does it provide? It is kind like the idea a locked door is only keeping out the honest people. I do know that when our breeder crossed state lines they were required to have their babies banded as proof they were bred in captivity since the band is closed it has to be slipped onto the baby bird just hatched. We then got Gilbert and he has been rehomed more than once and has no leg band. I don't think much about it, that is just what we have and if something comes up in the future, I will surely be able to think of a way to cope with it at the time.