NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My newly adopted parrot.

dhorje

Is that perch he is on okay? I see them all the time at the pet store but I read that they're bad for their feet.

My Grey has been using that perch for almost 2 years. I am not sure if they are bad but so far Cocoa didn't complain. lol

Kilaya is not a tame bird ... yet. S/he allows me to scratch his/ her head but not step up on my finger. S/he came out of the cage yesterday. I had to catch him/her. S/he bit me but not as hard as Cocoa's bites. Kilaya is much gentle than Cocoa considering s/he is not a tame bird.

Awww. I am partial to Kilaya since our first parrot is Java, the red bellied relative of the Senegal family. We have had her almost five years now and she has gone through a nippy phase but is now just as sweet as can be. With you love of birds and your family support, Kilaya has come to a capable loving home. Congratulations. I believe under your care this little bird will be sleek, relaxed and happy before we can blink an eye. Thank you for bringing this little one into your life and changing the future for all of you.

My 1st parrot in recent years was a Blue Rumped Parrot. It was wild caught and not tame. The previous owner had it clipped. It took me 1 year to tame the bird.

I would like to let my Sennie out. But the problem is I got to do some chasing to catch him back into the cage which will stress the bird. Would clipping make it faster to tame a wild bird? I read from experts that wing clipping is recommended to tame a wild bird. As you can see that all my present birds were raised from young. Hence they are tame and enjoying lots of freedom. I am not good with wild birds. Any suggestions?

Our little red-bellied parrot from the Senegal family was considered wild and was biting and clipped when we got her. I found her much more agreeable when her wings grew back. When she started to fly and was really a handful, I would set aside time at night just before bedtime for her to be out and then if I couldn't approach her to get her back into her cage, I could turn off the light and then she would let me come right over and pick her up. It might work for yours, but it might not. Mostly if you could take him into a semi-lighted quiet room at night where he could fly and you could talk with him or spend some time quietly reading or other activity, maybe he would warm up and come to you. We used our night time routine to give Java an almond every day and she associates that treat with bed time and still asks for it five years later.

My 1st parrot in recent years was a Blue Rumped Parrot. It was wild caught and not tame. The previous owner had it clipped. It took me 1 year to tame the bird.

I would like to let my Sennie out. But the problem is I got to do some chasing to catch him back into the cage which will stress the bird. Would clipping make it faster to tame a wild bird? I read from experts that wing clipping is recommended to tame a wild bird. As you can see that all my present birds were raised from young. Hence they are tame and enjoying lots of freedom. I am not good with wild birds. Any suggestions?

We had actually been talking about clipping our new birdy-baby, Tybalt, a young 3-year-old Indian Ringneck who is really not at all tame and is just two steps from 'wild'. We've had some stressful chases lately, too, I'm not at all pleased how that turned out. :( He is an exceptional flier though and I really don't want to do that to him (clip him)... Beaker never seemed to mind being clipped but I think it would really transform Tybalt if we did, and perhaps not in a good way. Perhaps it might help tame him though, I don't know. The thought that occurred to me with our Tybalt, however, is to first try clicker training--I don't know if you use that already with your birds (they are so well trained!) but I saw a video on YouTube where a young man with a wild, "never touched" IRN used a clicker and what he repeatedly called "negative reinforcement... not punishment!" in the video. Within about fifteen minutes or so he could lightly touch the top of the bird's head with his finger. So I thought, what's to lose? I ordered a little clicker and a book on clicker training and I'm going to try that before I give anymore thought to the clipping.

Edited by MarcusCAG

Thanks for your feedback. I have no idea how clicker training works. What I am doing now is I'll give him head rubs a few times a day. That's all he allows me to do. When I try to pet his back, he will run away.

He is a cute little fella but I have always thought senegal's eyes are a little intimidating, they always look like they are ready to come after me but then they might just be the way they look and all is normal.

Sanggay that cage looks like to me it is rusting, is it the one he came in? If so you might want to get him a new one.

Thanks for your feedback. I have no idea how clicker training works. What I am doing now is I'll give him head rubs a few times a day. That's all he allows me to do. When I try to pet his back, he will run away.

At least you can do that. :) With Tybalt, I really can't touch him yet... but he did take pasta from my fingers for the first time the other day, so it's a start. I'm still waiting on the clicker, but I've started moving his cage into a separate room for 20/30 minutes at a time, away from the rest of the flock (a major distraction) and last night he finally left his cage with me in the room, just me. Because before he would come out to fly and try to be with the other parrots. (Not that I touched him or anything, he just flew around the room a lot, but I was glad he got the exercise.) I got him back in, finally, with the temptation of an almond. It'll obviously take some time, but I think I'm on the right track, and it sounds like you are too. Maybe these 'wilder' parrots just need a little longer to realize they're in a good home, and then they can let themselves relax? Either way, I will let you know how my clicker training works out once it all gets here and I learn to use it properly. If you're curious, though, this is the video I was telling you about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzJqEu75Zfw

The young man talks a little in the beginning... the clicker is used as an 'event marker' that signifies the perceived "threat" (his hand) is being taken away, which allows the bird to relax. Each time he can get his hand a little closer because the parrot learns that the click means he can feel safe again, and eventually he is able to get so close that he touches his bird's head. That's what I got out of it, anyway. If over time you find that your new baby is still a little too nervous around you, maybe you'd like to try something like this too? Either way, I just wanted to say I love your pictures of your Sennie, what lovely orange eyes! I didn't realize they were colored quite like that, very pretty. :)

Edited by MarcusCAG

At least you can do that. :) With Tybalt, I really can't touch him yet... but he did take pasta from my fingers for the first time the other day, so it's a start. I'm still waiting on the clicker, but I've started moving his cage into a separate room for 20/30 minutes at a time, away from the rest of the flock (a major distraction) and last night he finally left his cage with me in the room, just me. Because before he would come out to fly and try to be with the other parrots. (Not that I touched him or anything, he just flew around the room a lot, but I was glad he got the exercise.) I got him back in, finally, with the temptation of an almond. It'll obviously take some time, but I think I'm on the right track, and it sounds like you are too. Maybe these 'wilder' parrots just need a little longer to realize they're in a good home, and then they can let themselves relax? Either way, I will let you know how my clicker training works out once it all gets here and I learn to use it properly. If you're curious, though, this is the video I was telling you about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzJqEu75Zfw

The young man talks a little in the beginning... the clicker is used as an 'event marker' that signifies the perceived "threat" (his hand) is being taken away, which allows the bird to relax. Each time he can get his hand a little closer because the parrot learns that the click means he can feel safe again, and eventually he is able to get so close that he touches his bird's head. That's what I got out of it, anyway. If over time you find that your new baby is still a little too nervous around you, maybe you'd like to try something like this too? Either way, I just wanted to say I love your pictures of your Sennie, what lovely orange eyes! I didn't realize they were colored quite like that, very pretty. :)

I have to tell you that I was very successful with clicker training my BB parrot. He was very sweet as a young bird, but I will admit I spoiled him rotten and he started biting when I tried to take him from my shoulder or out of the cage. He wasn't scared of me but he would bite me very hard then step up and actually make me bleed! It was more than beaking let me tell you and he would scream too then step up. I used a clicker to train him to step up without biting. However, I used a method a little different from the one you posted check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z-yiDIjn2s.

I keep a little cup of crushed cashews by the cage with the clicker at all times and now the biting has ceased. It took only about 1-2 weeks to train him to step up nice no biting. My bird doesn't talk but he mimics the clicks all the time! I also trained him to show me his wings with the command "Pretty Wings" and the clicker.

He is a cute little fella but I have always thought senegal's eyes are a little intimidating, they always look like they are ready to come after me but then they might just be the way they look and all is normal.

Sanggay that cage looks like to me it is rusting, is it the one he came in? If so you might want to get him a new one.

He came in a very small cage. That cage (in the photo) is a temporary cage. I'll be buying a new cage soon.

Abbie and Marcus, thanks for the video links.

Love those Senegal's they remind me of the small aliens lounging in the break room from Men in Black. Inquisitive, into everything and pretty fearless once they own you. I would add more perches of different kinds and sizes to keep those feet healthy. The Senegal's I know love to takes a bath in shallow dishes and can open Almonds with little effort (they believe they are BIG Parrots).

I have ordered a set of 4 clickers on ebay. I was looking forward to clicker train Kilaya. Something unexpected happened this evening. Due to my carelessness during cage washing Kilaya found his freedom after confining in a cage for years. Wish him all the best. :(