NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cosmo the Smarty-Pants

k9nurse

Hi all,

Our 7 year old CAG, Cosmo, is turning into quite the smarty pants! He didn't utter a word until he was 3 years old and even now only says a few things. Recently, he seems to be picking things up left and right. This weekend, he said Mo, Mo, Mo, Mo, PACO! Ha! He now says his big red brother's name! How about that?

Is there anything I can do to encourage him to learn new words? I sit with him and talk to him quite a bit, but he is Jeff's bird :)

Thanks for letting me share!

We all love to share things our barts do.

Our grey corky never said her first word untill she was 25 months old and now she won`t shut up.

She knows all our animals by their name and calls them all the time and drives our dogs nuts.

When some one comes to the door the dogs bark and so does she.

Thats wonderful to hear. What I glean out of the words he has chosen, are those linked to other critters names and other interactions that have meaning when the word or phrase is said.

Perhaps just ensure that when you give a food item or offer one, state what it is, that has a meaningful use to cosmo in being able to communicate what he desires. Just sitting and talking to a parrot really does not give them a reason to want or need to learn any of the words. Most learn words that are actions, items or names that have meaning and are useful to them. Just be consistent in the use of words and phrases. He will pick up what he is interested in communicating.

There is no doubt he is listening at all times. :)