NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is this mesh size ok for my Grey?

peyperj

Hi we have a 3 month old Grey, we built 2 cages, normal and a large one. Is this mesh size ok? can anyone give me more info regarding cage mesh / wire size?

Kind regards,

Those bar spacings are really too big. That spacing is made for much larger birds. You need to understand that at one time or another, your bird is gonna start climbing on the inside roof of the cage frequently and that spacing wouldn't be safe because of the large openings. The proper spacing on a cage is such that a bird isn't able to stick it's head out. This is what your cage spacing should be and it doesn't matter whether it's a small or large cage..

3/4 to 1 inch openings

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/cagebars-1.jpg

What type of material are you using? it needs to be rust proof, and safe when your birds put their beak on it as they climb. You dont want a toxic metal, it will have serious health concerns if your not careful with the type of mesh you use. Birds like o climb their cages, so as Dave says, make the spacing close together for safety reasons. You dont want toeir head to get stuck....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to these forums, but wanted to caution you on use of any hardware cloth or zinc coated type metals.

My black headed caique came from someone who had him in a hardware cloth cage, and when he arrived to me, one of his myriad problems was that he was underweight and his poop was VERY runny. The vet did several tests and we determined that he was experiencing zinc toxicity. He had to have his GI tract flushed (minor surgery) b/c a few pieces of metal showed up in the xray, and after that, I brought home a number of syringes to do intramuscular injections of calcium. (Thankfully, I'm able to do my own, but if you don't know how, this can get very expensive!!!!) After several treatments, the calcium has chelated the heavy metals from his system, and he is gaining weight, and his droppings are back to normal (more or less, considering that caiques do have a fairly high fruit diet).

Please consider the potential costs of treating for heavy metal toxicity when you're deciding on material to build a cage. Powder coated wire (with smaller gaps) might be a lot more pricey, but it's well worth it when you consider the cost of treatment for toxicity issues. Jynx was free, but his issues have cost me nearly twice the price a newborn caique would go for. The zinc problems alone have cost me nearly half of that.