NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird Cage

monipinkrose

Hi! I want to know the required minimum size cage for an african grey congo and rose breasted cockatoo each separately. And if they later on bond with each other can I put them in a cage together?

Also what is the difference between the african grey congo and a timneh african grey? Are the timneh much smaller than the congo? What is the normal size of a timneh? Are their behaviors very different? What cage size would be appropriate for the timneh?

The cage for each should be wide enough so that the bird could sit in the middle of the cage and flap its wings and not touch the sides and since the two birds mentioned are relative in size the same size would work for each. I highly doubt they will bond with each other and they should each have their own cage they can call their own especially as they progress toward maturity, they may be flock animals but they appreciate their own space.

The congo grey is slightly bigger than the timneh, the congo is usually lighter in color with a red tail whereas the timneh has a maroon tail, the congo has a black beak and the timneh has a bone colored one, the behaviors are very similar and the two species require about the same size cage.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Monipinkrose,

Hope you don't mind me using your thread for my doubts. Maybe it can help you as well.

I haven't bought my Grey yet but started looking up cages. We like this one:

Haiti%20Montana.jpg

Montana seems to have good reputation and reviews. Couldn't find a photo with a parrot inside but I have seen this cage in person and it is quite spacious.

Total Width (with seed catcher) - 86cm (34”)

Width of Cage (without seed catcher) - 66cm (26”)

Total Depth (without seed catcher) - 56cm (22”)

Total Height (with stand) - 161cm (63.5”)

Is it suitable for a CAG? Please share your opinion. Thanks.

I saw both CAG and TAG in person and I found the Timneh a lot smaller than the Congo. I was actually impressed because everyone usually say it's just a small size difference. I thought it was quite a big difference. Regarding behaviour, I believe each bird will be different, no matter what breed. I think it will depend mainly on how you train him/her, how you bring them up. I did think the Congos were more lively/playful than Timnehs I saw. But I've seen videos online of Timnehs that are also quite talkative and fun. So as I said, it will depend on each bird.

Edited by Popsicle

I would go with the largest cage possible. Once you fill it with perches and toys etc , 26 in width will seem very small. They need room to stretch their wings with everything in there. I had many size cages and ended up buyer macaw size cages...:(

Would this one be ok?? Identical design, same brand but a bit larger.

Grenada%20Montana.jpg

Total Width (with seed catcher) - 112cm (44”)

Width of Cage (without seed catcher) - 90cm (35.5”)

Total Depth (without seed catcher) - 61cm (24”)

Total Height (with stand) - 165cm (65”)

Inside Height (without stand) - 127cm (50”)

Edited by Popsicle

Would this one be ok?? Identical design, same brand but a bit larger.

Grenada%20Montana.jpg

Total Width (with seed catcher) - 112cm (44”)

Width of Cage (without seed catcher) - 90cm (35.5”)

Total Depth (without seed catcher) - 61cm (24”)

Total Height (with stand) - 165cm (65”)

Inside Height (without stand) - 127cm (50”)

Looks like you have a winner.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about aluminum cages? I was reading in another forum where some folks were complaining about A&E cages and some unexceptable levels of lead in the paint. I have two A&E cages and just noticed rust on the water dish holder for my little Senegal. That has me very, very concerned about the safety of these cages. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.