NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What to do, what to do...

k9nurse

Hi all,

So, I've had a deposit on a baby CAG now for about 3 weeks and during that time, I have gone in and visited, played, and helped feed him every day. However, I haven't developed that "bond" per say. I know he's young, but he screams the whole time I'm there. I still love him though.

Today I went in as usual and saw him. We hung out together for about an hour. Then Doug (the guy at the store) put some of the other babies into the play gym area. Of those babies was a Goffin Cockatoo. I picked him up because he kept reaching for me. He is about 8 weeks old. He climbed up to my shoulder and started nuzzling my face and then preening my "feathers".

Oh my, what to do. Our adult CAG is a very affectionate and sweet boy who loves Jeff very much. When I decided to get my own bird, my knowledge was limited to Greys, Macaws, and Tiels. I want a bird who will cuddle with me and want to be with me.

I'm gonna do some research today and I've already talked to my mom who raised parrots for 25 years. Jeff warned me that toos can be very loud and are easily spoiled. I'd love to here ya'll's opinion.

Kindest Regards,

Amanda

Cockatoos are lovely parrots and I always wanted one because of the Baretta show with Robert Blake and Fred the cockatoo. I spent sometime, thank goodness in a local pet shop that had a couple of toos and that thought quickly changed. One Too belonged to the shop and one was for sale. They both were very needy parrots who wanted a lot of attention and to be on someone at all times. They were kept in the back of the shop because when people came in to see them, they were very noisy and wanting attention. Too much parrot and need for me. I like my space and prefer a parrot that can play and interact alone. It all depends on what you want in a bird/parrot, and what time and space you have for one. However, all parrots are different. I'm sure there are some Toos out there that also like their space and unless you spend time with one you will not know.

Amanda it is too soon to develop that bond, sometimes one grey is more receptive to a particular person but at this point the baby is just getting more familiar with you since he has seen you many times. Right now the only thing he is concerned about is his next meal and that is why he is screaming, it is not anything against you.

You may be looking at the wrong bird if you want a cuddler for greys tend not to be that way especially as they emerge out of baby stage so if you want a bird that will snuggle with you then you might want to look at some other bird besides a grey and the toos are known for being cuddlers, in fact they don't call them velcro birds for nothing.

Thanks for the input. I am not going to rush into any decisions. I need to make sure the individual bird is right for me, my home, and my lifestyle. I am going to take my time, do more research, talk to more people. The last thing I want to do is make a wrong decision for me and for a bird that will share my life.

I appreciate you guys!

We have a hybrid (umbrella/goffin) cockatoo, and she is a real sweetheart. She is 2 years old, and so far is very good-natured and gentle. She has a loud voice, but doesn't sound off very often. She loves attention and lots of petting and stroking. But she is pretty independent, partly because she spends most of her time free in a bird room with her bird friends.

I have heard that the Goffins cockatoos are more independent-natured than the others.

Cockatoos are definitely cuddly, snuggly birds, especially when they're young. They tend to be real show offs and very entertaining to have around. They do have their potential issues, just like greys have theirs. You're wise to do some research and read and talk to other bird owners about it.

I really commend your soul searching and am confident when you make a decision it will be the right thing for you and your new companion. Congratulations on having the foresight to think this through and to research and make your choices based on research and thoughtful consideration. I can't say anything for other birds, we have had only African greys, but I can tell you that it wasn't love at first sight with two of my guys and through building trust and taking time, it developed into a great bond. I have read that birds can bond as small chicks and change loyalties later and shun the one they loved at first, we have not had time to develop that and will just adjust to that if the day comes. We just never know with any of them what tomorrow will bring.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a parrot from Russia and the particular environment from where bird was taken is really cold.Now i am facing a problem.It first time happens with me other wise i always did manage such a problems .This particular breed name is Great Shear water.Any one can share any idea with me ?