NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How many hours of UV light is good

dicky601

Hi Guys, I sort of asked this question in the middle of another post but thought I would ask it again in it's own subject. Is there a recommended time that you should leave a UV lamp on next to the bird cage??<br><br>Post edited by: dicky601, at: 2007/09/05 23:12

If your grey is getting the proper amount of VIT D3 ( not VIT D) and VIT A, then use of the light is unnecesary. Those are the only nutrients that UVB lighting provides. If your grey isn't getting those nutrients then about 4 to 6 hrs a day is all that's necessary. You should check out RED PALM OIL. That's loaded with those vits as well as many others. Many people use it and swear by it.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave, will have a look at getting some oil. Our vet also mentioned that the UV lighting would be good for Herbie's vision and that he would see colours more vibrantly. The other thing they discussed was bone desease and that the UV light would help absorb the calcium we are giving him in liquid form.

• 1 year later...

Well, I know this thread is kinda old, but I figure I would post.

I have more experience in the reptile field, but it may have some similarities. For reptiles the use of a UV light is for them to produce the Vitamin D3 in order to properly absorb the calcium into the body for bone growth to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD)as well as other body functions.

Full spectrum lighting also helps them see things better (most reptiles can see UV rays).

Now it may be very similar for birds in producing Vit. D3 for the calcium absorption as well as producing a better spectrum of light for the bird to see to its full capabilities.

I have uv lights for my birds which I do use in the winter months when the birds can't go out side. in the summertime I try to get them outside everyday that its sunny out sometimes if its really gloomy and grey outside i turn the uv lights one so its not so bla looking.