NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

PVC Training Perch

In prep to bring home my baby CAG, I've been researching training etc. I've seen many trainers, such as Barbara Heidenreich, use perches specific for training. Obviously you could use most any perch, but I would imagine having a clean distraction-free workspace would be a little nicer than the play gym. It also gives the bird a different frame of mind for hard work sessions. Not to mention my current perch is tying up my only stool as its just a table top perch I made from PVC. video here. Yes I'm a dork. I'm also running out today to pick up some more PVC to make a cage top play gym as Marble's cage is missing his.

In any case, here's a shot of the finished product as well as an illustrated break down of the parts and assembly. If you use the measurements I did you -should- end up using almost exactly 20' of PVC. Which is handy because they're typically sold in 10' sections. It also gives you lengths you can use if you need to trim the PVC to fit it in your car, and not worry about messing yourself up later.

photo-5.jpg

Screenshot2011-05-26at103502AM.jpg

I went out to my local hardware store and made the following perch for just $11, including the athletic wrap. I used 3/4" PVC, 1" will me a little more stable, I'll probably use that in the future at least for the frame, if not for the perch section itself (depending on the size of your bird). The athletic wrap I had to get from a farm supply store (Farm & Fleet) because I wanted colored wrap. You can find it in the equine section.

I chose colored wrap to help the humans in the house keep the perches straight, but the more I thought about it I realized the birds might benefit too if I train them to fly to different colored perches. That way if I move the perch above the window to above the bookshelf, etc. they won't be confused as I've trained them by perch not by location. We'll see how well that works. Alternatively you can use natural rope like Jute, but that does take much longer to apply. And it's not as pretty. :P

Edited by GandalfGreybird
added photo

Went back to the store and got 1/2" PVC to top off Marble's cage today. Spent more time wrapping the jute than I did on the entire floor stand! Looks good though. Now all he has to do is learn that its not about to eat him.

photo-6.jpg

Made intermediary rungs out of just the jute. Little Tiel legs don't reach quite that far.

Edited by GandalfGreybird
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

How do you start and finish wrapping the twine?

Thanks all. Really not hard to do. The rope is a little time consuming, but very cathartic. Just make sure you keep it very taught as you wrap it.