NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrots cannot see below their beaks

danmcq

I can see that it would be out of their range of eyesight and I have seen Josey reach for something with her talons and she feels around instead of actually going right to it, thanks for sharing that with us Dan, an interesting read.

That was a very interesting article considering we have an African grey as well as a member of the Senegal family. I have noticed the groping and reaching with my greys and when I put Gilbert into his cage, I bring him up to his favorite perch in a way that he climbs up to it because he objects to being lowered. I had no clue it was a visual thing rather than just an odd preference. It might explain why all three greys prefer climbing upward and Java goes to the floor, maybe they are going where they can see ahead of time what they are going after. It makes for an interesting change in our approach with toys and play areas. Awesome area of research, thanks Dan.

Interesting....Makes me wonder what their vision capacity is from front to back now. Nothing obstructs the vision behind them, but it likely has a limit (or does it).

There is a limit of behind view, it depends on the angle of the head. As the diagram illustrates the binocular field width as a function of elevation in the median-sagittal plane. Thus, if their head is up in the normal position, they have full front, sides. above and rear fields of view. The only "Blind" areas at this position would be directly underneath from their beak down and there Tail feathers tip down. As the head moves down or back, that FOV moves respectively