NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Protein Heavy Diet

munch

My CAG is a very picky eater. She does not like her vegetables, I've tried raw, steamed, grilled, cooked until mush. I've threaded them when possible, diced, chunks, etc. Tried sprinkling cayenne, cinnamon. She was underweight because she would refuse to eat unless it was something she liked, I've decided that any food at this point is better than her not eating.

She loves proteins. Beef, chicken, veal, eggs, cheese, nuts, chickpeas etc- she will gobble up any proteins. And I've even tried vevegatble omlettes! She eats all the egg and spits out the vegetables!

She does eat softened Harrison's pellets (let it sit in a little water for a half hour, becomes a mush- she will not touch it if they are hard).

I know this is far from ideal but she has put weight on since I've just decided to feed her what she wants. She looks healthy.

What essentials is she missing? If the answer is everything, I give up! Is high protein that awful?

I don't what else to do to get her to eat vegetables. I've fed her while eating them myself off of a plate and a fork (she loves to eat from a fork), i've tried not sharing (she could care less!)-- she will get jealous and want it if the dog is eating it but then she will spit it out once she gets it.

Sidenote: She loves fruit but I only give that to her rarely as a a treat (once or twice a week) and hate carbs (no pasta, rice, toast, oatmeal...not that is what she needs!).

Ok lets put those veggies in a blender and add a spoonful to her omlette, you can try mixing into a bit of nut butter and spread onto some whole grain bread with a few shreds of cheese on top. Most birds enjoy a warm mash so try cooking a little multigrain cereal and add a touch of ginger, red pepper and some blended fruit & veggies to that. Hard to avoid a blended item introduced into foods she likes. Start with a small amount and increase slowly-feed off a spoon if needed either first thing in the morning when she is hungry or a night just before bed.

Hi,

Read your post to Jay and he asked me to reply to you...Jay said (in my words) that Greywings' advice is great. It's best to stay away from all red meat products. Chicken breasts (a little) cooked well a couple times a week is good. A half-teaspoon of organic peanut butter, twice a day, spoon or finger fed is an excellent protein source. Scrambled eggs, dry and well and extra hard-boiled eggs are also excellent sources of protein. It sounds to Jay that there might be a deficiency. When you feed him something new, green leafy veggies, smash, etc., stick with the same thing for a week, the same time twice a day. Don't change off. He won't starve himself unless there is a medical reason. Keep a quarter cup of pellets and good seed mix (no sunflower and peanuts) at all times.If a Grey knows that you are going to bounce around foods, he will only eat what he likes. It is up to you to set up a routine. Chickpeas should be fed in moderation a couple times a week. They are very addictive and they stop other nutrients from reaching the system. Try cooked (frozen unseasoned) black-eyed peas, basmati rice. Try a couple of these at a time and stick with it for a week. No beef, veal or any red meat. They are full of saturated fat which can cause high cholesterol and heart attacks in Greys. You might try canned albacore tuna and steamed salmon a few times a week. This will provide Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Give your baby almonds (1-2 a day). Example: seeds and pellets at all times, assorted fresh veggies in the afternoon-disposing after 2-3 hours, and for a week, try 2 specific items. Stick with it no matter how much your baby tries to play you. The peanut butter every morning is a good choice. What does your baby weigh and how old? If your baby is over 400+ grams, don't worry. He will take care of himself. Try what Greywing says, but don't flood him with choices. Thanks from Jayd...

Each morning, I make Jay 8 ounces of hot water with 1 1/2 tbs. of organic apple cider vinegar and 1 1/2 tbs of honey. When it cools (below 110), I feed it to all the guys by spoon. They all love to fight over it and each drink 2-3 spoons. It lowers the PH in their mouth, crop and in their digestive system and they are all healthy. This is similar to the acidic water that Talon (Penny) uses. Most of our fids are rescues and Spock is hypoglycemic and this has helped all of our fids. (the jury's still out on Jay...LOL)

Maggie

Thank you very much for the advice. And a especial thanks to Jayd and Spock for the joint effort to help me out. I guess little Took has me wrapped around her finger. As long as you are sure she won't starve herself waiting for soemthing better....I've tried that before and she had lost weight; she hardly ate for 3 days.

Is there a particular seed blend that you recommend? I don't use one because I can't find one that she eats that does not include sunflower seeds and peanuts (hence the fresh foods and pellets only).

Thank you again Greywings, Spock, and Jay (Tell him I hope he is resting up and will be back soon! We love both of you!)

@Spock :Off topic completely- My husband and I are fanatical Trekkies (well, more for The Next Generation but Spock does make several appearences in books and shows as well as Sarak). Yes, we are the ultimate dorks, we go to to comic convention every year and have almost the complete novel series of the Next Generation- that is my husband's goal, that and Hulk comic #1. Your signature makes me proud everytime.

Edited by munch

I took your advice yesterday and she refused to eat. She threw the omlette (she has always preferred hard boiled), yelled, and didn;t even go near the bread! She was so cranky and kept nippy at me and telling me to feed her in that way that she does (generally she sits on my shoulder when i prepare her food, so yesterday she was constantly trying to come onto my shoulder and yelling at me when i woulnd't give her new food). I didn;t try to warm cereal because she had taken to that before even when my husband and i both eat it.

By the end of the night, she had eaten nothing other than her pellets- and even those she mostly threw.

I'll keep it up but when do i finally slip her food that she will eat? do i let her just eat the pellets until she finally eats vegetables/carbs as well? I'll be back tomorrow with the next report!

It's been about a week now and she still has not touched anything with veggies except to throw it on the floor. Haven't given in and given her any additional protiens/meats that she loves (she picks the cheese off the bread & nut butter) and she has played with the shells but not touched the omlette- she is so stubborn!

And now to add to this post- last night during dinner, for the first tme ever she flew over and begged for food from my plate (we were eating Memorial Day barbeque ribs). I gave her the tiniest piece then put her back by her cage and gave her a bunch of almonds and walnuts...and she never touched the vegetables

Edited by munch

We have success!

It was a stand off and it looked like she would win the stubborn race, but alas, I teach inner-city emotionally distubred children- I can be tough! And it worked!

Took ate her vegetables! It started with a slow cooked vegetable omlette nibble...which she now will gobble as soon as served! Thanks, Greywings! I have yet to try the apple cider vinegar... I have also been constantly threading leafy long greens for her to shred since she is a shredder and she had always done exactly that- shred and toss. But this past week, she actually munched on the leaf and chewed on the stem (beet stem and leaf,too- not my choice!) Thanks, Judygram for that suggestion awhile ago!

So, she likes beet stem and leaf (but not the beet), parsely, zucchini. I have kohlrabi, dandelion, green leaf, purple cabbage to try. (She vetoed peppers, carrots, any type of potato, tomato -but yes to tomato sauce, and a few others that I cannot recall right now!)

Formulated diets are readily available brands made by many reputable companies, pet stores, and veterinarians. The food is made of grains, vegetables, fruits, and different types of proteins, as well as vitamins and minerals. The ingredients are mixed and then baked .These are very balance diet for birds.

Always avoid junk food and potato chips type stuff.

• 4 weeks later...