NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cage competitors...

MarcusCAG

Apparently there's some war online between bird cage companies who say that their competition produces lesser-quality equipment (of course). Until a few minutes ago, I was unaware of this war; but considering we're in the market now for some new bird cages for a few of our boys, I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the different brands and would like to share the pros and cons? I really don't want to buy a cage new and then have it fall apart in a year or so. ;)

That being said, I know there are A&E cages, EZ care bowfronts, HQ brand... I'm sure there are others too. Thanks in advance for any input!

Howdy Marcus,

I have had my 7 year old CAG in an A&E cage since he was brought home. My boyfriend's parents also have a grey, a TAG, in an A&E cage that they have had now for 12+ years. I have not had to replace any parts on mine, nor refinish it. It cleans easily. My new cage is also from A&E. They have made some changes to the newer style cages. One is the food door locks. They slide to unlock and auto lock when you close them. The little metal piece at the top is gone now too, you know, where you have to slide it to the side to open the door. That piece is still on the front. All in all, I have been very pleased with my A&E products from cages & perches to my 8 foot double java wood tree stand that barely fits in my house, lol.

I also have an extra large double macaw cage made by King. It is made well, but the coating is a bit harder to clean. "Stuff" sticks more to it and I have to scrape it off versus just hosing the other cages. I clean cages at least once per week. There seems to be a bit more space allowed by pressing on the food doors from inside the cage as well, like they aren't quite as tight as the A&E cages we have. Again, a very good cage, but I prefer the food doors on the new A&E cages and the ease of cleaning as well.

As far as the EZ care bowfront goes, I looked at one for my newest CAG. The pros are that it is easy to clean and very nice to look at. But once I talked to someone in the store who was shopping for a replacement for his EZ cage, I decided it wasn't for me. He told me that the locks on the front door kept coming off. The are spring loaded and the springs were wrecked. He had called the company twice and twice had gotten replacements only to have the springs wear out within the week. Naturally I inquired to see if he was opening his cage 100+ times a day to wear those springs out that fast and he laughed and said he opened the cage 3 times per day. The other downside is that since it is acrylic, it may be difficult to keep the front clean and clear for your bird to see through. Acrylic gets scratched easily. I would rather look through bars than dirty or scratched acrylic.

Good luck in your search. I had very good luck finding the best prices on A&E cages through CSN Pets. Shipping is very reasonable too. But if you have a good store in your area like I do, you can always take your internet price and haggle a better deal with the local store. I got my cage for $60 cheaper than the store was selling them for by doing that :)

We have only King Cages products because the King factory and warehouse is in walking distance to from my mothr-in-law's house. Richie King and his son are the nicest, friendliest people- they let you come into the warehouse and factory and teach you all about the products. Before we got Took, we went in there and he helped us decide what kind of bird to get and taught us so much. He spent two hours with us and we didn;t even have a bird yet so we weren't going to buy anything. He is a bird man all the way. We never bought from a different company but for us, it's supporting the local company, paying a little more but buying it from mom and pop usa rather than walmart.

We live in a rural commumity and we support our local business when ever we can. I like to see what I am buying and take it home than.

We have some great small pet shops that have hand raised birds and they have been around for over 30 years and are clean, have a good reputation and can get you anything you want.

• 2 weeks later...
We have only King Cages products because the King factory and warehouse is in walking distance to from my mothr-in-law's house. Richie King and his son are the nicest, friendliest people- they let you come into the warehouse and factory and teach you all about the products. Before we got Took, we went in there and he helped us decide what kind of bird to get and taught us so much. He spent two hours with us and we didn;t even have a bird yet so we weren't going to buy anything. He is a bird man all the way. We never bought from a different company but for us, it's supporting the local company, paying a little more but buying it from mom and pop usa rather than walmart.

I noticed you're also in NYC. Where is this factory located? Do they allow walk ins?

Any person here who's only been checking out name brand cages as a first time cage should really take the time and visit Ebay. They have a huge selection of high quality cages for any size bird that exists. The cages are brand new and no bidding is required. Their prices will absolutely beat any cage company's price. The cages are made the exact same way as brand name cages. The quality is excellent. They come in all styles, sizes, colors, are powder coated. Warranties are included. There's been hundreds of people here on the board who've purchased there throughout the last few years and were very happy to the point that they would purchase there again if they got a second bird. Buying a cage there allows a person to spend more money that they save on extra neccessities.

Edited by Dave007

Are there sellers on ebay that you'd recommend, Dave? I ordered my rat's "Critter Nation" on ebay and had an awful experience with the seller.

These are just 5 models from good venders and each vender has other items for sale at their main outlet. The vendors ask the customers to visit so they can see the complete line.

Each of these items can be bid on or purchased with no bidding

Just look for the words BUY IT NOW next to the item. You'll see the actual price with no bidding.

There's many pages of cages and you may see something you like. Just make sure you look at the price and you'll see the difference regarding regular pet store prices.

Specific info on each item is at the bottom of their product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LARGE-BLACK-VEIN-DOME-HOUSE-OPEN-TOP-PARROT-BIRD-CAGES-/290570908072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a76031a8

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-E-Cage-Co-Large-Dome-Top-Bird-Cage-Platinum-/150605216362?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2310c53a6a

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-E-Cage-Co-Large-Play-Top-Bird-Cage-Sandstone-/110688199561?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c587e389

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prevue-Select-Parrot-Bird-Cage-Model-3153-/120413196148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c092f8f74

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prevue-Corner-Parrot-Macaw-Bird-Cage-Model-3156-White-/120374686292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c06e3f254

Edited by Dave007

Thank you for all the links! I completely see what you mean by price difference now. Not that I wouldn't be completely willing to pay the 500+ pricetag, but if I can get the same cage for ~250 that's awesome!

I'm really loving these cages!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would stick to well known companies, they have more to loose if word gets out their cages are crap or are not made from the meterial they advertise. Discount cage companies have little to loose, if they are suied they close shop and could reopen under a new name if they want. I buy quality over crap if I can.

• 4 weeks later...