NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Article in Bird Talk Magazine about Hormonal changes

JDS5607

Does anyone have a subscription to Bird Talk?

They had an article this month about hormonal changes around this time of year. I read some things in the article that I hadn't heard before, and I wanted to see what everyone thought.

The first thing that jumped out at me in the article is that simply petting or cuddling your bird during their mating season can trigger extra hormones that make the bird want to mate. None of my birds seem to be affected by extra cuddling, but I'm wondering is anyone elses?

Another thing the article touched on is the fact that feeding warm foods to your bird during mating season could trigger hormonal changes in your bird, that could result in your bird being less pleasant. I've never thought of that and I'm wondering if it could be true. The article doesn't seem to suggest owners stop feeding warm foods during this time, but I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to use it in the opposite direction. Our Nanday is NASTY right now because of his mating season. He'll probably be like this the next few weeks, and go back to being, well... less nasty. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has to take some kind of measure to avoid a hormonal bird. Sully hasn't reached sexual maturity, but it's going to happen sooner or later, and I'm just trying to figure out if around mating season I should cool down the warm foods, allow him to play more on his own, and cuddle less during the few weeks or month he will eventually be feeling "the change" of the year. I certainly don't want to cause any extra aggressiveness during mating season.

Any thoughts?

Interesting theories. I've heard about the no extra cuddles part, but never anything about warm foods. I can tell you that our 7 year old male CAG, Cosmo, is definitely not the easiest birdie to live with right now. He is downright mean, biting Jeff every chance he gets. Typically, Jeff can't help but cuddle with Cosmo as he is one of those super affectionate Greys, but right now he is being left alone a bit more due to his temperment during the season and because Jeff has Paco now to care for too. I can't tell you exactly what to do as I think it depends on each bird, but I can tell you that Cosmo will tell you when enough is enough.

I'll be watching to hear from the experts here. I'd like tips on how to make our two mature males more comfortable during this time, aside from calling up a birdie 1-900 number of course!

Bird Talk really isn't the most accurate parrot magazine. 65% advertising--35% bird articles but sometimes they give out info that's good for newbies. They don't get into the specifics of each species of parrots. Very general info.

As far as the cuddling during mating season---most parrots shouldn't be touched in certain parts of their bodies from the day they come home as babies until they pass away. No matter what the age, they'll get excited

1---at a very young age has to do with memories/ contact with hens that fed them. That's the regurgitating that happens. Huffing an puffing goes on.

2---as they get older, ( 1,2,3,4 yrs old) the bird becomes sexually aware. The bird is excited but can't do anything about it because he's no where near the breeding age. He simply knows that it feels good and may bite an owner if the owner decides to stop. It's not a good idea to do this to any parrot.

3---After the age of 5 the bird becomes sexually mature ---mating can happen but a person who has a pet parrot never does such a thing because of the loss of human to bird bonding. At that time, bad moods occur especially with females and males to a lesser degree. The female wants to be left alone and will/may seriously bite if interfered with. That's the time to leave the bird alone.

As far as warm foods---warm foods are given all the time and their diet should remain the same. When hormonal changes happen during certain parts of the year, it doesn't matter what they're eating.

Thanks Dave.

I noticed that about Bird Talk too... it is a lot of advertising but I do enjoy the few articles and random contests and such. Plus, Sully likes looking at the "centerfold" bird of the month, lol.

I thought that the warm foods part was going a bit far, but I agree with the certain cuddling. Our Nanday is downright NASTY right now, even biting my husband (who is his favorite) yesterday twice on the neck. It was a MESS. Anyway, when is mating season for Greys? Does it vary bird to bird?

I read that article too. It also said that allowing your bird access to a cozy spot, like a closet shelf, wasn't a good idea when they're already feeling hormonal. I've been letting Kazoo spend some time in the closet since it makes her so happy, but Bird Talk says it's a bad idea.

Speaking of the centerfold, I'm amazed at how much my birds like looking at pictures of birds. My dog and cat can't seem to look at a 2D image and actually see a 3D object. But the birds can. Oboe has the Bird Talk centerfold of the lovebird on the wall near his cage, and he loves it. He also loves the Grey on my kitchen calendar. He nibbles on both of them whenever he gets the chance.

For greys, sexual maturity begins at age of 5 yrs and up but first time breeder greys usually aren't successful until they're about 6 yrs old. If you're having any iseas about breeding your pet bird, don't. Breeders don't have any bonds with their human owners only with the other mate. Most have never been pet birds. They make the best breeders and will normally have no bond with people. Putting a pet grey in with a breeder grey usually ends up with the breeder grey seriously maiming or even killing the pet bird. A pet grey has a human imprint on it and breeders know it.

I have a subscription to Bird Talk and frankly I enjoy reading the article about Parker & Pepper. I do skim through the articles and read what sounds interesting. If I have any real problems though I always come on here, Grey Forums and ask Dave. Perhaps we should have an Ask Dave Section.

I used to breed lovebirds and because of that, I would never consider even thinking about breeding Sully... You either get a pet or breeder, not both.

What I meant by when, is what time of year? I know lovebirds usually breed in the very early spring, and was wondering if the same was for greys? Just to know for future reference when Sully starts acting a little crazy :)

I love reading the Memo to Parker & Pepper myself! It's one of the things I read to Sully. Parker and Pepper and Sully have a lot of the same quirks, and I often find myself comparing :)