NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cookware... Questions, Concerns!

bran

Hi there fellow Bird peeps!

My partner and I are officially combing households, and he is moving in with Anonodized Aluminum Cookware, which has a non-stick coating. Now this product in his cookware is called calphalon, and containes no PTFE, which is supposed to be "non-toxic" and nothing like teflon. I was curious if anyone has done the research on this, or has these pans, and what they think about them??

THANKS for your time!

I wouldn't take the chance. I use stainless steel only for cookware. It's more expensive! But worth it for your and your pets health. That's my opinion. I would steer clear of anything that says non stick, it has to use a chemical for that process, one that would emit fumes.

My experience is that companies don't really know or care to tell you IF it is toxic to birds.....

Penny is right about the cookware and contacting the company, if it is nonstick then it has to contain harmful chemicals and the companies are going to tell you what they want you to hear and not necessarily the truth, I would err on the side of caution.

After research, emails with the company, going back and forth in speculation, and basically stressing myself out... I have decided to bite the bullet and just buy a new set of Stainless Steel. I think they look great, and MOST important, I choose not to take the "what if" approach to my boys! Also I heard that stainless is better for humans... imagine that, getting something good for us. lol!

Oh, and basically what I found out... ALL non-stick coating do emit a gas at a certain temp. Some at 300 degrees, some at 500, and some at 550, depending on what the company tells you. The coating of this specific brand and alot of Anodized Aluminum Cookware is amazing, however, the non-stick coating inside the pans is more times than not, going to be Teflon. Most brands are coated by the company DuPont, and they use nothing but good old fashion PTFE Teflon...

So, thats what I found out.

Thanks for all your responses, and suggestions!

• Haha 1

Throw the stuff out! It is toxic to birds and toxic to you. Have you ever heard of the canary in the coal mine?

Use glass or Revere Ware, or cast iron. They are very nonstick if you heat up the pan before introducing food or fat, and if you season the cast iron first.