NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

1 year old CAG May be chewing feathers.

Hayley23

I thought that it was interesting to read the following:

Source: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/stanford-fellowship.pdf

Just woke up, looked this one up from Spock"s tests, ionized calcium is calcium that is freely flowing in your blood and not attached to proteins. It is also called free calcium.All cells need calcium in order to work. Calcium helps build strong bones and teeth. It is important for heart function, and helps with muscle contraction, nerve signaling, and blood clotting.[Human]

lower-than-normal levels may be due to:

• Hypoparathyroidism
  • Kidney failure
  • Liver disease (decreased albumin production)
  • Low serum magnesium
  • Malabsorption (inadequate absorption of nutrients from the intestinal tract)
  • Osteomalacia
  • Pancreatitis
  • Rickets and vitamin D deficiency

I would guess that Harrison's were stating that their food raises this value. Wish you would have quoted a little more info.

Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd
spelling

Note: Do not buy Red palm oil from Asia, Malaysia, Florida. This is not of the same quality as that from Africa due to cross-breeding at the palm farms, this is also true at plantation in Africa, there are many variety of palm oil plantations there.Thanks Jay

I would guess that Harrison's were stating that their food raises this value. Wish you would have quoted a little more info.

Thanks Jayd

I'm sure that Harrison's sponsored the research, since it was their food that was used in the trials. But the research seems to be the doctoral thesis for a chap at a UK veterinary university (The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons), so I'm sure it was properly reviewed and challenged by the team at the university.

You can read more - I provided the link to the paper.

The main point that they were making with the research had to do with D3-fortified pellets in general versus a seed-based diet, and the effect of UVB...

I just thought it was interesting that wild caught greys (that spend so much time in the sun) had less of this type of calcium than either the seed-fed or pellet-fed parrots.

And after it was all done, the breeder (with a factory-like setup) went back to his old ways to save money...

Note: Do not buy Red palm oil from Asia, Malaysia, Florida. This is not of the same quality as that from Africa due to cross-breeding at the palm farms, this is also true at plantation in Africa, there are many variety of palm oil plantations there.Thanks Jay

You say that the RPO from Asia, Malaysia, and Florida is not of the same quality as that from Africa. But then you say that there are problems with the RPO from Africa. What is the correct source, then? And how would you be sure?

You say that the RPO from Asia, Malaysia, and Florida is not of the same quality as that from Africa. But then you say that there are problems with the RPO from Africa. What is the correct source, then? And how would you be sure?

Doug, and all interested members, Jay has been tired today. I have had him rest as much as he could. He says he has everything and he just has to put it all together for you tomorrow. To add intrigue...we don't use red palm oil...we'll explain why but please, who do use it, please don't stop. It is greyt for our parrots.

Have a greyt night....Maggie

Whatever works for your bird, is what you should do! None of my birds chew, I don't give them anything or spray, outside of a typical shower. Sophie doesn't shower, or get sprayed. Her trimmer cares for her. Kiki and Sunny, LOVE their showers. It all works out for us. I believe what has worked for us, is open cage. In our experience, it has worked. Nancy