NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Behavior problems

dicky601

My 14 week old grey has started violently digging at the bottom of his cage (on the grate) and scraping his head on the floor. The skin around his eyes is going pink and I am worried he is going to hurt himself. He has seemed very calm and happy since he has been with us and only started doing this in the last couple of days.

Does anyoe have any ideas??

How long have you had him now? They do scratch like a chicken but not violently, I am stumped as to what is going one.

While waiting for other members to give you some answers, why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little about yourself and your grey.

It is normal for young greys to play/scratch on the bottom of the cage.My two did this for a few weeks when they were baby's. He should grow out of it.I would personally put a towel or blanket in his cage for protection with the newspaper on top for his poop!.

You will need to change the paper each day so he's not playing in his own mess, but it is a baby thing.

That sounds to me like nesting behaviors....the only thing I'm worried about is the fact that its still a freshly weaned baby I would maybe contact the breeder and see if they could help you out. Another suggestions maybe crumple up a couple balls of newspaper and throw them in the bottom of the cage and see if he/she will tear that up instead of scratching the bottom! Yikes that's scary I don't know what else to tell you!

Hi Dicky601 and Welcome to the Forum!!! :-)

The behavior your describing is normal for a Baby CAG as Lovemegreys stated.

I watched Dayo at once a week visitations from the time the 2 clutches of 6 CAG's were 8 weeks old. The would always scratch whether in the Cages or on a blanket.

Dayo has stopped scratching now at 17 weeks old. He did scratch a little in a cardboard box I through in his cage though. :-)

14 weeks old is still very young.

As an extra note, the only thing that has changed is that we introduced a UV light next to his cage. This was done on the advice of our Vet. I am unsure of how many hours grey should be exposed to this, it has been on for 10 hours a day, is this too much??

After further observation the scratching on the bottom of the cage does not seem such a big deal, we have seen what he is doing with his head and he appears to be trying to get it through the bars of the cage. Further to this he is very reluctant to go back in his cage. Again, this has only just started in the last few days. A week ago he took flight for the first time and we were very pleased that he was flying back to his cage and going in of his own accord.

As mentioned by one member, I will register properly and give some further details.

Thanks for everyones help.

Makena scratches sometimes too... I think it is normal. He did it a lot when he was younger, but it is slowly tapering off.

Him trying to get out of the cage also sounds pretty normal. Makena hates being in his cage and will try everything possible to get out! His new thing is he will go lay upside down in his food bowl, legs straight up in the air and will just sit there until we come over and get him... pretty funny as that is quite the vulnerable position for a bird!

I wouldn't worry.. sound like normal baby behavior!

Welcome to the forums!

Guest briansmum

as everyone has said the scratching is normal baby behaviour, however, i like you and worried about the redness of the face. could this be caused by whats on the bottom of the cage, do you use grit or anything? generally babies are a bit pink around the eyes, it gets whiter as they get older, but if it is getting redder i think possibly a trip to the vet to check is isn't a skin complaint.