NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Kings travel cage?

Laurencann

The travel cages I have are very durable as I have been using one of them for a long time now as I take Josey with me occasionally to work and when I go visit my son who lives 4 hours away but I have to admit I do like the food doors in the Kings cage.

I was actually given the "small" King's carrier that you've linked. It gets a fair amount of use, doubling as a deck cage. For the most part, I like it a lot.

PRO's

Surprisingly large but can still be seat belted into the front seat of the car. Even the ekkie seems to be comfortable traveling in it.

Small enough bar spacing to accommodate different sized birds safely, but big enough to put parrot sized perches & toys in.

The living space sets up well. The cups are nice size & no-flip. I have a Booda Comfy Perch Cross in it so they have a good amount of secure perching. Room for a small toy or 2 as well.

Comes apart which makes it easier to clean.

The magnetized latch & large door are convenient.

Really very nice looking (mine is red & silver).

It seems very solid but it's pretty light weight, considering.

The thing I probably like most about this cage is that I really feel like the bird is safe while we're outside.

CON's

Big & heavy enough to be a little awkward to move around in tight spaces. 18 lbs + isn't all that light to carry for any period of time.

Comes apart; doesn't fold down. There's a lot of good sized pieces to store. OMHO, especially given the price, the storage thingy should be included. I usually leave mine assembled in the warm weather because it's just not worth the effort to do otherwise.

Some pieces have sort of sharp corners to watch for, particularly when assembling. None of them seem to be exposed once it's together, though.

Simple, but not all that easy to assemble. The clips on mine don't sit together easily. I'm afraid they may eventually get twisted. I wouldn't want to have to assemble it in an emergency.

Magnetized latch is nice, but it means there's iron in it somewhere, which means potential rusting.

Cup doors on mine don't open or close well. I don't know if this will get better or worse with age.

It's decent quality, but for the price I really feel it should be better.

So, as a gift, I think it's a pretty good cage, overall. I would get another one. I would recommend it.

But I think they're overpriced because of the look & the King's brand. I would wait to find a pretty good sale or a listing on Craigslist.

...hope this helps :)

Thanks so much for everyone one great information. I am not sure why, but I can over spend big time on my birds in a heartbeat and not feel guilty; but I can't go to the grocery store without my $0.50 coupon. We want to use the cage on camping trips and as a deck cage. Do you think the medium is big enough for a grey over a weekend?

I have the smaller of the two cages and use it frequently to take the birds out to the vet and just because. It fits great in the car seat and the handle serves as a perch for them. Since we use the harness on Beau we've taken him camping several times and he uses the cage for a sleep cage or if we go for a hike away from the site. If I could ever get Dixie harness trained, I would be buying another just like it.

It is very heavy though and cumbersome, but if we're only talking a weekend, it would be a great cage!

Robin

This works fine for my fids. Kura (ekkie)is in & out of it & is just looking for food & a familiar perch to nap. When she is actually caged, she's busy watching everything.

Phenix (TAG) isn't a good traveler. He's looking for a safe place & smaller is more comfortable, anyway.

I guess it really depends on the bird & the strength of his bearer(s) :)

Ok I ordered my cage and it should arrive tomorrow. I stuck with the medium to make it's use for day trips easier, plus it could also work for my conure and cockatiel if necessary. If we use it for a week long trip I will just have my grey out most of the time. I will let everyone know how I like it when it gets here.