NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bathing questions

Shoulderin

I am wondering what temperature the water should be when bathing a bird....warm or cold? How warm is too warm? And will my CAG get too cold while drying if the room temperature is too low? Do any CAGS go into a bird bath or just splash water on themselves? I don't think my 7 month old likes water too much so far but likes to sit on the shower rod when I shower. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!:cool:

We keep a bird bath in all our birds cages all the time. They can take their bath when ever they want to. The water is at room temperature. Some times we put 1 ice cube in the water. When my wife vaccums the carpet my amazon will jump into the water and take a bath. My grey takes a bath about every other day.

216.jpg

214.jpg

213.jpg

Many greys don't like baths. Some will splash around in bowls and other won't. Some people use glass bake dishes. Some greys like it and others don't.Most greys like cooler water. If the water seems cool to you it's fine for your bird. Many like showers and others don't. If your room temperature is between 64 to 70 degrees, then it's fine for your bird. Drafts will do more harm to a bird so the drying area should be draft free. As far as what the birds do or don't do, well, it's an individual thing and eventually you'll see what he likes in general.

Kenya likes colder water, she will sit on the shower perch and fall asleep like it is the most relaxing thing in the world. Both my birds love for me to sit down in the tub with them while the shower is running, they get wetter this way and therefore alot cleaner. We also have a misting stand they use outside, it was hot in Los Angeles last week and we sunbathed under the mister until I got a little burnt!

I've been trying to figure out how to utilize the nesting box door on my cage to hang a covered bird bath to and it be on the outside of the cage. Seems like it would stay cleaner and be easier to change the water, etc....

It's gonna be very difficult to do that. Greys don't like * going into* something to bathe. A normal type of area to put it in, most likely on the bottom of the cage, allows a grey or other medium to large sized parrot the ability to spread it's wings so the under side of the body gets wet. Most items used are fllat. Basically, they threash around, make a mess and afterward the bowl or other item is removed and it's cleanup time. That area is usually the floor of the cage. No matter where you set up water, there's a good chance that the water will probably get dirty without being used because most greys aren't very fond of bathing. The subject of bathing and what methods that can be used constantly comes up because people get frustrated. There's sickys in the Health room concerning bathing.