NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Update on baby bird

Maiosameru

He's doing great! The little guy is quite the little pig. Although for some reason he cries like mad until I pick him up and let him lay down on my chest. He seems to sleep the best when he's able to touch me or I have my hand over him. I'm starting to get worried he might be getting too attached to me and that might affect his going back to the wild. Although my husband has already expressed a big interest in keeping him, which I've stomped out more or less. Does anyone have any experience in this? I would really like to let him go back to the wild after he's weaned and flying well...

peepersn.jpg

Edited by Maiosameru
Added Picture

It's kind of a blurry picture, is it a baby robin? If it is, that one is big enough that you should start weaning him onto earthworms. He doesn't need a heating pad anymore if you keep your house at 70 degrees or above. It's good that he is attached to you for now. That way you won't have to be chasing after him when you take him outside and play with him and put worms on the ground and encourage him.

Yes, you have to work hard on teaching him and don't let him go until he is good at grabbing the worms. Robins develop very very fast and the parents only feed them for a couple of days after they are flighted. It's not hard to release robins, you just have to put a lot of time into it for a couple of days. Sparrows and starlings on the other hand - argh!

• 2 weeks later...

She's already been released! I think about a week ago we started letting her stay outside during the day where she could watch the other birds playing and flying. First day she flew off and came back around dusk for lots of food. Next day, she didn't come back for food, although we hear her call pretty much every day when we let the dog outside. So she's doing great! We did find out that she is a female robin from a bird watcher, so she's doing great out on her own now!

• Haha 1